4 Replies - 335 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Back end web developer or front end developer?

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi, so I'm new to this site! In fact, I just found out about it an hour ago, because I was looking for a site that I could talk about coding to someone and get help. By the way, I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about how it works, so please dont get too technical, I am the lowest of the noobs. But I'm determined to Learn! So here I am! Now, on to the question.

Okay, so I looked up there differences and am trying to figure out which one to be. I want to be a web developer and don't know what languages to learn. Do front end developers do photoshop stuff and artistic decoration. My art skills aren't great and I don't like to draw, however making a site look "pretty" SOUNDS fun. On the other hand, a back end works with python, ruby, PHP, and SQL I think? I would also like to work with the functioning of the site which I believe these languages do. So which one is funner, and is front end primarily focused on art?

P.s. Difference between MySQL and SQL?

I just asked this on Yahoo too, but no one gave me a thoroughly detailed answer, so I was hoping one of you could!

Thank you in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Back end web developer or front end developer?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Back end web developer or front end developer?

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

If you are doing web development you'll certainly find yourself doing both front and back end development. There is no reason to put blinders on yourself and ignore half of it. HTML, CSS, Javascript are good front end.. you mentioned fine back end tools.

Yes.. part of front end development is making the site look good.. if your particular development cycle needs photoshop for mockups then so be it.. not everyone uses photoshop though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostTrixielotakun, on 16 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

P.s. Difference between MySQL and SQL?

one is a language and the other a software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hello ,
The main difference between Mysql and Sql is that-

SQL is a Structured Query Language. It is declarative computer language aimed at querying relational databases.

MySQL is a relational database - a piece of software optimized for data storage and retrieval. There are many such databases - Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, SQLite and many others are examples of such.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

The distinction between front and back end has nothing to do with how the site looks. There are developers and there are graphic designers. It's two very different things and it's very hard to be excellent at both since both need a lot of practice and personal investment if you want to stay up to date.

Most of the time you don't do both (or you shouldn't). I personally do both since I work in a small agency, and I can tell it requires focus and discipline because while you are programming front-end stuff (animations, ergonomic, data vetting, etc.) there is always something you want to make prettier, and when you're polishing your design, there is always some feature you want to add. When I started doing webdesign, I was fiddling around all day and my projects didn't progress one bit. Moreover, when you do technical stuff you use this part of your brain that makes things straight and logical, but when you do design you need to be instinctive and emotional. You don't change your state of mind with a snap of your fingers, so you often find yourself drawing shitty Tetris-like designs or writing messy programs because you're not totally focused on what you're doing.

So, even though it's good to have an understanding of what the other guys do in an agency (especially to avoid conflicts between devs and graphic designers, it happens a lot in big agencies), it's not very efficient to be a jack of all trades in webdesign. Programming on the server side or on the client side doesn't make a big difference (even though the environment and constraints are not the same). It's still programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1