11 Replies - 982 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2014 - 04:57 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help learning

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

ok, so ive spent about 2 month maybe trying to learn java, and i stop for like a day, re open eclipse and forget simple things like hello world and have to relearn all of it again... im getting sick of it, is there anything you recommend.

P.S: i did have an accident when i was 9 months old which cause major damage to my head, however nothing was every said about any kind of damage. my memory does not only fail in coding, it fails me all the time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help learning

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help learning

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

im getting sick of it, is there anything you recommend.

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, and more practice. Absorb that fundamental stuff, and then start applying it on projects.

Our project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 July 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

im getting sick of it, is there anything you recommend.

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, and more practice. Absorb that fundamental stuff, and then start applying it on projects.

i practice everyday as much as i can, but it just doesn't seem to get better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Again it is about applying... I mean writing out a hundred 'hello world' will not help you, but if you, say, find a project idea (or even better - a real-life-need-for-you sort of project) and start breaking it down, designing it, and finishing it.. that helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 July 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Again it is about applying... I mean writing out a hundred 'hello world' will not help you, but if you, say, find a project idea (or even better - a real-life-need-for-you sort of project) and start breaking it down, designing it, and finishing it.. that helps!

ok, so if you wouldent mind, got any books or places you recommend using? i use http://www.learnjavaonline.org/, a learn java book and newBoston on youtube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

You might work on your note-taking, or consider flash-cards or even mindmaps. I believe there is a cheatsheet here @DIC that you can download.

here it is

Most developers tend to accumulate a list of code snippets that they can refer to quickly.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 18 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 18 July 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

You might work on your note-taking, or consider flash-cards or even mindmaps. I believe there is a cheatsheet here @DIC that you can download.

Most developers tend to accumulate a list of code snippets that they can refer to quickly.

i have notepad files saved full of things to remember, i guess i just forget i have them...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

You might concentrate initially on one main (text) document. If you use useful sub-headings and keywords, and refer to and update the document frequently, you will be able to quickly search it to find what you need.

I think it is also a good exercise to attempt to organise your snippets, it re-enforces your understanding of how Java is structured.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

As you mentioned it in your first post, you might also consider visiting your doctor.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

There are also books and courses (a whole industry..) for techniques to improve memory or, more accurately, recall. I mean more for day-to-day needs, rather than specifically for programming. Might be worth spending some time with one of these books.

Good luck!

teah, Noah, may(pole)! It all comes back to me now ;)

http://www.the-numbe...ntroduction.asp

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 18 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 18 July 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

There are also books and courses (a whole industry..) for techniques to improve memory or, more accurately, recall. I mean more for day-to-day needs, rather than specifically for programming. Might be worth spending some time with one of these books.

Good luck!

teah, Noah, may(pole)! It all comes back to me now ;)/>

http://www.the-numbe...ntroduction.asp

thanks man
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I recommend Head First Java. This is arguably the most beginner-friendly book on Java, as the whole line of "Head First" titles are specifically designed to help you learn with diagrams that explain conceptual things instead of confusing beginners with a bunch of code.

I found that writing code by hand is a better way to "make it stick". Its a slower process to write things by hand, and you have to think more about what you're writing. Also, there's no auto-correct or syntax error indicators on paper like there is in most IDE's.

Don't feel bad, I've been writing Java for years and I still forget things and make dumb mistakes. And even the most professional programmers need to debug their programs. Programming is something that you just need to dedicate yourself to and be patient, and accept that it's going to take a long time to get the hang of things.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1