My Friend Needs Help with Making Her Program

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 834 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2014 - 08:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My Friend Needs Help with Making Her Program

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi, I hope that I am doing this correctly. If not, I'm incredibly sorry and will fix it. ^^

My friend has been spending months on this program that is meant to be made to help others who use the software, RPG Maker VX ACE, be able to create their sprites.

She's gotten the outline of it done to where there is a drop down and the ability to click on the items. The issue seems to be that she cannot get the items to do anything or save. She is feeling frustrated, which is why I'm the one posting and asking for help because she's concerned about coming across as rude due to her frustration.

Here are a few images of what the program looks like:

Spoiler

And here is a video of it in action to see the issues. She also apologizes for sounding crass or rude in the video due to how frustrated she is with the program. She feels terrible about how upset she was in the beginning of the video and did not mean to snap at anyone, it is just that this program is really getting to her due to not being able to figure it out. Go to the 59 second mark to skip that since the video is still being edited to cut that part out. :)

She's searched for ways to make the buttons work as in saving the characters, and she has also searched for ways to make the drop down images show up. She has her own resources that will show up when you click on one of the buttons, and I will be more than happy to provide the sample sprites she's using to try to get the program to work.

I will also be more than happy to provide the entire program if needed to as well.

Thank you so much in advance. Also, thank you for the patience and understanding as well. If I need to provide any more information, I will be more than happy to. :)

Again, thank you so much.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Friend Needs Help with Making Her Program

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My Friend Needs Help with Making Her Program

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Show us the code for how those buttons are hooked up to their event handlers, the code for the event handlers, and the code for the actual operations invoked by the event handlers.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

She is feeling frustrated, which is why I'm the one posting and asking for help because she's concerned about coming across as rude due to her frustration.

My question - why isn't she the one posting the question? I mean, sure, there's the bits about being able to conduct yourself socially in a stable-ish manner, but really? It seems odd your friend would just throw a video out to the wind of youtube and hope the universe answers back without slapping an account here (or elsewhere) to outline the questions, show the work so far, and pony up per a typical code creator.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

That's because that friend is me and due to my previous misconduct on the forums I was scared I wouldn't get any responses, so my friend offered to post again for me. I swear I've been digging and trying to learn coding but as stated I have a seriously hard time trying to apply stuff when left to my own devices without any guidance. I'm not looking for code to copy paste just some guidance on what to do.

To Skydiver I wasn't aware of eventing since some of the tutorials I had looked up hadn't made a mention to them save for the eventargs and I think those count since they're included on the msdn page but I don't know. So that would be to say I would need an event to call up a save dialog? As for the code it's really kinda blank which is my problem.

To Modi forgive me but I'm not a typical code creator, I'm a newbie code creator so I apologize for not giving it up. In addition this isn't the only place I've asked for help. I've been desparately scratching anywhere I can to try and get some help but I got much the same response of people thinking I wanted it done for me, which is far from the case at hand. There isn't a whole lot to it right now either aside from what visual basic has put in for me and what little I've been able to understand. Even digging through the tutorials here haven't been much help for me. Maybe it's my own fault for trying to make something so specific.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Your attitude can't be too bad if you don't have negative feedback, first of all. Second, is this a vb.net or a c# problem?It will depend on the responses. If it is the former I suggest clicking on the report button and requesting it be moved to the appropriate forum.

Lastly, post what you are trying to accomplish, what you have attempted, it is okay that it hasn't worked you wouldn't be asking for help if it did, and what errors if any.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 July 2014 - 05:41 AM
Reason for edit:: 'too' not 'to'

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

I really recommend reading and understanding this tutorial.

All these UI elements raise events when you do different things with them. You want to write code that receives an event and responds to each event in a specific way. That tutorial will help you understand this paradigm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

"under grasp" sounds a bit.. painful :wince:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Apparently my early-morning brain couldn't decide between "understand" and "grasp" ;) I'll fix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Your brain was unable to "gripple" ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 21 July 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

I really recommend reading and understanding this tutorial.

All these UI elements raise events when you do different things with them. You want to write code that receives an event and responds to each event in a specific way. That tutorial will help you understand this paradigm.

Thank you! ; w ;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 20 July 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Your attitude can't be too bad if you don't have negative feedback, first of all. Second, is this a vb.net or a c# problem?It will depend on the responses. If it is the former I suggest clicking on the report button and requesting it be moved to the appropriate forum.

Lastly, post what you are trying to accomplish, what you have attempted, it is okay that it hasn't worked you wouldn't be asking for help if it did, and what errors if any.

It's C# since when I was asking before someone told me I was in the wrong place for what little code I had they could tell it wasn't VB. As for what I'm trying to accomplish, as said in the video, I'm trying to make a sprite generator and my problem is I have no real code at the present time but I am trying to learn, but due to my own steep learning curve I need some guidance. Thanks to jack I got a slightly better handle on the eventing and making a practice file for just that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Understanding Events With The Crying Baby Example
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Would it really need to be that complex to swap a couple images here and there? x.x;;; Or would it be more for the layering aspect?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

QuizicalGin, rarely in programming do you find a component that applies actually to your explicit specifications.
Like Lego bricks you can build almost anything from the basic building blocks.

Getting angry and frustrated isn't going to help (in fact it is going to hinder progress). Take time out go do some-else (non programming) come back when you're calmer. I do it and it helps.

In my opinion you're lacking focus, and bouncing around between things.
Break the problem, into to smaller more manageable pieces. Focus one particular problem at a time.
Which is better? I don't know what are you using for an indication of "better"?

- Saving to a user specific folder eg My Documents.
Spoiler

I think you are also too focus on controls, which is tainting your thinking about programming.
Think about Abstractions and Function. Basically it Input ->- Process ->- Output
So it won't hurt to go back and redo the fundamentals of the language and programming.

Learning C#

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's not like you coding the software in which could physically injure someone.

In learning Electronics I caused the premature death of many of component. You soon learn when the magic smoke raises from a device worth four figures, not to make that mistake again.

Edit: Experts Q & A

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 23 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

In learning Electronics I cos the premature death of many of component. You soon learn when the magic smoke raises from a device worth four figures, not to make that mistake again.

I worked on missile systems for a bit. People ask me all the time why I don't wear a wedding ring or dogtags. When you are dealing with circuits that run into 6 figures, you are very cognizant of what you are doing!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +