3 Replies - 566 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I study Oracle 11g or 12c as my first Database cert?

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Would it matter which one I pick?

I want to do the Oracle OCA cert.

I am hoping to complete a database cert to complement my Advanced Diploma in Business Computing in order to land my first database Job.

I however do not know which exam to write. Would 11g be fine since most places would still be using it for the foreseeable future?

thanks

This post has been edited by john5220: 22 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I study Oracle 11g or 12c as my first Database cert?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I study Oracle 11g or 12c as my first Database cert?

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Moving out of the lounge into the cubicle corner.

When in doubt - go for the newest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

You should probably go with 12c. You have to keep in mind that 11g R1 is already off premier support and 11g R2 is going off premier support in January. So 11g of course is going to be phased out shortly by Oracle themselves. I would be surprised if they continue having official certification for that version given that they are trying to get away from it now.

Of course there is the chance that specializing in 11g may be advantageous because if everyone is moving on, you would become a rare commodity for those companies who want to remain on legacy systems. These positions usually end up commanding a higher salary, but then again you are also dealing with old legacy systems which can be a pain since there is lack of support, discussions etc. It is a risk.

But 12c will probably be what you want. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

hmm Martyr2, where I am from in the Caribbean most companies don't really upgrade often at all.

Most will still be using 11g for quite some time, however someone told me that 12c exams would cover about 90% of 11g anyways.

So it would still be beneficial to do 12c as a starter. So I think it may be best I just do 12c if this is the case.

BTW a friend of mine told me OCP cannot be done unless you have OCA and work as a database admin in the field only then after some time can you pursue it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1