4 Replies - 385 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming on a HP chromebook 11 with ARM CPU?

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Would it be possible offline?

The HP Chromebook 11 looks good and its $199 on Amazon. The Acer is $179 I noticed and its celeron haswell but the HP seems lighter and has better screen etc Man the screen is even IPS display

Anyone knows if it would be a ok investment for university?

would netbeans run on it? or eclipse or something?

I really love that HP Chromebook 11, and if I could install Linux on it well....

This post has been edited by john5220: 23 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming on a HP chromebook 11 with ARM CPU?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming on a HP chromebook 11 with ARM CPU?

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

It looks like someone else already moved this topic. However, please note that technical questions do not belong in the lounge. This isn't the first thread of yours that we have moved. The lounge is our off-topic forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

** Topic moved to Computer Support -> Hardware -> Laptop **

Because you mentioned Linux, I'm going to go on a limb & say yes, because you'll get a compiler with the OS. That being said, I don't have first hand knowledge of this specific laptop. Does the Chromebook allow for offline storage? If so, yes absolutely you can code on it with Linux. If not, then I would look into just throwing on a USB drive, either a thumb drive or an external hard drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 July 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

** Topic moved to Computer Support -> Hardware -> Laptop **

Because you mentioned Linux, I'm going to go on a limb & say yes, because you'll get a compiler with the OS. That being said, I don't have first hand knowledge of this specific laptop. Does the Chromebook allow for offline storage? If so, yes absolutely you can code on it with Linux. If not, then I would look into just throwing on a USB drive, either a thumb drive or an external hard drive.

Hi there sorry but I am a noob, I will be starting classes in a month time so I won't understand much of programming jargon etc.

My main concern was with this pretty little chromebook it runs a Samsung Exynos ARM CPU. And people have said ARM CPU would not allow a programming IDE and you won't be able to program on the chromebook.

But this video shows how to install Ubuntu on it I also heard android native apps are coming to ChromeOS and there are IDE on play store.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GK6msARu_wQ
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postjohn5220, on 23 July 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

My main concern was with this pretty little chromebook it runs a Samsung Exynos ARM CPU. And people have said ARM CPU would not allow a programming IDE and you won't be able to program on the chromebook.

People like to say things in order to hear themself speak. I don't see any reason why an IDE wouldn't be able to run on an ARM processor.

Just to follow up, a quick (1st result click) search on Google shows that there is a compatibility issue between netbeans & the version of Java that is released on the Chromebook (Linux). Nothing to do with the processor or architecture.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1