4 Replies - 1017 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Xcode Beginner. Simple project.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

I am a beginner with development. In fact, I do not know anything about it. I am a Motion Graphics artist with a goal for a single project.

I have a black/white (on/off) matte video file of interchanging geometric patterns.

I have a library of random video clips.

I want to loop my black/white matte for an infinite length of time, with this library of videos randomly interchanging within the black, as well as the white, simultaneously.

I have created this very quickly in Adobe After Effects, but obviously I can only create movie files that are the same every time. My goal is to develop a very simple program that can loop for an infinite length of time on a projector screen and hardly (if not ever) be the same at any given moment.

I am on a Mac, and am attempting to use Xcode and have been looking into Open Frameworks as a tool.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Xcode Beginner. Simple project.

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Xcode Beginner. Simple project.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to D.I.C.

So what is your question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Skydiver.

What language do I need to use to randomly call up a video from a library to collage video for an infinite length of time using a black/white matte file as an on/off state for two videos playing simultaneously?

I have attached a still image of the black/white matte video, as well as a still of two videos playing simultaneously on that matte.

My hope is to develop a program that will play these random videos on an endless loop and never have to see the same combination of two videos. (Unless I stare at it for a week).

Posted Image

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

It's not a matter of what language, but a matter of what image/video processing libraries you can use with the language -- unless you plan on writing the image/video processing code from scratch. If you do plan writing from scratch then any language will work, but you'll probably find it easier using a language that lets you get to the individual bytes and pixels with minimum hassle.

So far, there is nothing C/C++ specific in this thread, so I'm moving this to the "Software Development" forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Thanks again.

I have been looking into this open source C++ software called openFrameworks and I think it's a place to start.

I understand these may be ridiculous questions from an amateur, but I would greatly appreciate a lead in the right direction on learning how to do this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1