1 Replies - 221 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2014 - 10:19 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need advice on a new project

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

This is not really a specific question I guess, but it involves Java, and this seems like a good place to get advice in regards to the issue I've been having. I'm currently a 1st year CS student. I am working on a project for my class and I have a tight deadline (plus I have a full load summer quarter). I don't know much about programming yet, I'm currently 4 weeks into my first programming class (Intro to C), though my introductory CS class did introduce a few basic programming concepts. I am trying to write an application for Android using Java/ADT in Eclipse. I'm really new to this, this quarter I'm learning C, and I'm also learning assembly language, so piling Java on top of the stack (lol) is .. well challenging. I'm wondering what I'm getting into here and where to start I guess. I have a book on Java and I've watched a video of someone making an app in eclipse, but I feel like I'm missing way too many pieces of the puzzle. Ok the app I'm trying to make I thought might be relatively simple (hah). My idea was to create a flash card application, where you can make customizable flash card sets to study from. I have a zillion ideas of things that could be added to it, but right now, I'm just trying to have a very simple interface where they create a "card" with a question and an answer, it's saved to a set, and they can view their saved sets. I'm not asking for anyone to write anything, I just need a general idea of how I might even go about this. I'm also wondering if having a minimally functional program, where I can at least enter in flash card sets and view them is attainable in 1 month with my skill set (or lack of one lol) and time limitations. If it IS attainable, are there any suggestions on how I might go about this? Or just point me in the direction of some sample apps that have similar functionality? I really want to succeed at this project but I feel a little lost to be honest and I'm welcome to any advice or suggestions, thank you! :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need advice on a new project

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need advice on a new project

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

There's a few aspects to this. As usual, your life becomes easier if you understand these aspects as separate tasks and try to separate them out as much as possible. For example, you have a model of the world - "cards" and maybe "decks" of cards, and maybe some other metaphors. You have at least one way of working with those objects that you're modeling - that's a user interface, and it's a separate thing from the model items themselves. You say you want to save created cards, which suggests a data persistence layer, probably some sort of database.

Work out what sorts of moving parts you're going to have to work with, and figure out how to make each of them as simple as possible. The simpler your pieces, the easier it will be to fit them together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1