3 Replies - 457 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Aloha!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hello there, community!

I look forward to working with you all in shared endeavors of increasing knowledge!
Ah yes, I should introduce myself. I am an ambitious programmer, visual artist, and songwriter with a love for creativity. I began developing games at age 10, about 8 years ago, using Game Maker 7, and have continued with that for a while until I made a valiant effort to learn C++ and the highs and lows of developing games with that. For the past 4 years, I've been learning C++, OpenGL, Windows development, and all of the methodology that goes into making a functional video game.
On the side, I've learned a good deal about both 2D and 3D graphics/modeling, some web development, and a little about sound design.

Known Languages:
C++ (Most prominently)
GLSL (Just barely, but a little)
GML (Easiest, A.K.A. Game Maker Language)
HTML (Piece of cake)
CSS (Simple-enough)
PHP (Easy-enough)
Javascript (Used it a few times, don't remember much)

Past Projects:
Various fractal rendering programs, including one rather impressive one that renders buddhabrots in a fraction of the time of conventional rendering methods.
Several incomplete games using Game Maker of varying difficulty.
My Sparks Screensaver
The incomplete Blackout

Current Projects:
A fairly simple game engine that handles Windows, provides varying and controllable tickrate and framerate, takes care of loading files in a separate thread and holding them as resources, overly simplified .obj parsing, and lots of room for improvement. It has been written to be testable as I go along and has new functionality already outlined, but much of it still needs proper implementation. With this project, I plan to make perhaps a couple games, but more than likely I will start a whole new project to be done rather differently as I started this one without a clue as to what I was doing, and it shows quite a bit. If anyone's at all interested, I could upload the source code for you all to see, but it marks the last 2 years of my learning how to code with the objective of programming a game.

Future Ambitions:

A cross-platform modular game engine to allow creation of a single game project that can be compiled for Windows, Mac, and Linux respectively that can be used partially depending upon the desired design objective.
This will include:
3D and 2D permutations of a physics engine
A filesystem manager
A model/animation manager
A dynamic Operating System handler for window display and controls
A 3D sound system with varying simulation levels (i.e. simple sound playback, 3D Polyphonic processing, and optimized acoustic simulation)
Anything else I can think of to be useful as part of the engine.

Also, I plan to develop several video games at some point in life.

For the longest time, I've been learning completely independently and have found all I needed on the internet, including on these forums from time to time, but I've decided that it's time I find some help in some form. I'm sure there's a lot I can learn here, and I hope I can offer just as much back!

Cheers,
~§ingulαrity

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Aloha!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Aloha!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Welcome aboard! Interesting work there.

FYI - I am seeing some errors at the bottom of your page related to sql issues. (under the "latest news")
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 July 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Welcome aboard! Interesting work there.

FYI - I am seeing some errors at the bottom of your page related to sql issues. (under the "latest news")

Thank you!

As for the errors, could you post them? I have seen some errors before, but it seems to be a result of the somewhat unreliable (albeit free) hosting. Right now, however, it appears to be functioning properly on my side. It may also have something to do with the fact that I haven't actually maintained the website in almost a year as I've had my sights elsewhere. Much appreciation!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Meh.. they seem to be gone, and were replaced with 'news updates'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1