1 Replies - 918 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Manifest Assist!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'm not one for asking questions, but I'm in need of some resource material. Let me first and start off with my goal, then I'll go into what I have found, and from there plead for a MS master to assist. I am currently writing a plugin for an application using Qt (4.8.2) and visual studio 2008 (yeah I know, my work won't pay for a better one, and I need the vc90 libs anyhow). The plugin is a dll that requires a set of separate dlls, and when I run the application, it only finds the plugin if I place ALL of the dlls into the main directory with the main application.
My goal is to have the plugin dll in a plugin folder, the supporting dlls in another directory under their vendor specific folder names, and the main app being in the root directory. After doing much much googling, I have found that manifests are probably the answer. So, researched how to embed a manifest, and that's easy...but I have a hard time understanding how to use the different manifests (deployment, assembly, application). Anyone have any good resources (the msdn isn't cutting it for me). PS...read up on use mt.exe, mage.exe, mageui.exe. For all of you wondering, a manifest is a listing of files in your program (and some other information such as runtime configurations, dependencies, etc...). It can either exist as an xml document and is usually named after your main program (or a dll) with a .manifest at the end of it. I.e. myapp.exe.manifest. The msdn goes into the schema of the files, but they do a really bad job at use cases. Any help would be appreciated.

-Akelo

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Manifest Assist!

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Manifest Assist!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

As a side note, here are some of the things I've found.

MT: using mt (chances are it's under "program files\microsoft sdk"). The most I've used is mt -inputsource:myExeThatHasAnEmbeddedManifest;#1 -out:extractedManifestInXMLformat.manifest

mt -inputsource:myDLLThatHasAnEmbeddedManifest;#2 -out:extractedManifestInXMLformat.manifest
mt -manifest myHomeBrewedManifestFile.manifest -outputsource:MyTargetExeToPutAManifestInto.exe;#1
mt -inputsource:myDLLThatIwanttheManifestFrom.dll;#2 -manifest aManifestIHaveButWantToMerge.manifest -outputsource:TheExeThatIsGettingTheTotalManifestFromTheDLLandManifestFile.exe;#1

;#1 indicates to use encoding for executables
;#2 indicates to use encoding for dlls
I've seen #3 but don't know what it represents...COM files?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1