9 Replies - 2197 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2014 - 11:48 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Trying to get my dev to match production (Part II)

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

As it turns out, the issue was (and still is) a JAVA UPDATE. When I updated Java on my dev system (pushing it to C:\Java, instead of C:\Program Files (x86)) and pointed the CFAdmin Java & JVM to it, that's when things started breaking with Solr collections. I've tried many things, including edits to some .config files, and nothing works. As I understand it, ever since 7.51 there are network default permissions that have been denied that were okay in earlier versions.

I have submitted a bug to the Adobe BugBase (BugBase Link). Please vote for it.

Thank you,

V/r,

^_^

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Trying to get my dev to match production (Part II)

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trying to get my dev to match production (Part II)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

Sorry to hear about this and hope Adobe does get around to fixing the issue for you.

That said, when did Adobe turn bug reports into something you vote on?!? I clicked on your link and see that the report contains a "vote(s)" tally...but you have to log in to get the opportunity to cast a vote? This is the same Adobe whose database was hacked last year and millions of email accounts compromised...and they require you to log in to cast a vote to support fixing a break in their product?!?

This is why, for my personal projects, I don't use Adobe CF. My personal preference is OpenBD but I know lots of my colleagues prefer Railo. Adobe has always had nearly absent support for CF issues like this. I had an issue one time when I was using Bluedragon, left a forum post on NewAtlanta's site and got an email followed by a call with an engineer within 2 days. Had a custom patch emailed to me within 4. Remarkable customer support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

While I'm not entirely thrilled about working with Adobe, the primary reason that I'm doing so is because that's what the client is using. And it's highly unlikely that I could convince the US Govt to switch to Railo or BD. :online2long:

That aside, while I do hear good things about Railo and BD, I (personally) am not sure I'd feel comfortable using an open-source version of CF. I'm not convinced that everything works exactly the same as Adobe CF. (I installed Open-Office on my laptop, thinking that it would do exactly the same as MS Office. For the most part, it does, but O-O Calc does not use all the same formulas and calculations that Excel does - so the Excel sheet that I created at work for timekeeping does NOT work in Calc. I had to re-write it to use at home, and still never got it to work exactly as the Excel version.)

And while I'm glad that you received such a quick response to an issue that you were having, and (I'm assuming) that the patch worked, that's a patch on one system (again, assuming), not necessarily a patch that everyone using BD will receive via updating.

IDK.. maybe, someday, I will look into Railo or BD. :bigsmile:

V/r,

(I can't use my sig AND enable emoticons.)
WolfShade

This post has been edited by _WolfShade_: 04 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

No, everything doesn't work exactly the same...some things work better and there are tags for Railo/Bluedragon that don't exist for Adobe and vice versa. That said, it's around 98% identical.

The patch I was given was indeed added to their next point release. Further, as it related to the specific issue I was having at the time, they told me about an undocumented tag that was in the released version and I ended up using that. It generated a Captcha image natively...which was damned cool as I was having an issue using the 3P Captcha feature. With the patch, I was able to choose my solution.

The main reason people choose something other than Adobe for their CFML engine is price. Adobe charges ridiculous amounts of money for their CF engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostCraig328, on 04 August 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

The main reason people choose something other than Adobe for their CFML engine is price. Adobe charges ridiculous amounts of money for their CF engine.

Oh, the price for CF was ridiculous before Adobe bought Macromedia. :) Adobe just made it even more ridiculous. But, I've been working with Allaire/Macromedia/Adobe CF since 2000. On the one hand, I should start learning something else, since CF's popularity has been declining since 2005. But, on the other hand, I've got a gig working for the US Govt, which is holding on to CF (at least for the foreseeable future.)

I was this >< close to getting a Certificate in Web Specialization. Might still go for it. Who knows..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

BTW, CFIMAGE will do CAPTCHAs, quite effectively. You can even choose the font, font-size, how heavy to transform/mutate the lettering, whether or not to make it all UPPER CASE, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yes...it can now.

Much of what constituted Adobe's "innovations" not too many years ago was them playing catch up to NewAtlanta's Bluedragon feature set. Things like CFBREAK, CFCONTINUE, CFZIP, CFPAUSE, CFIMAGE, CFFORWARD, CFASSERT existed first (and sometimes solely) in Bluedragon before Adobe saw the sense in their functionality and adopted many of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostCraig328, on 04 August 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

My personal preference is OpenBD but I know lots of my colleagues prefer Railo

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer OpenBlueDragon to Railo? Does OBD do things better than Railo?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Simply which was more advanced at the time I chose. I had used OpenBD for a time for a customer and when it came time to pick I chose the one that was more established and that I had more experience with.

I've heard nothing but good things about Railo though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, Craig328. Food for thought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1