1 Replies - 496 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Letting users post on your website?

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm trying to create a website that allows users to post text or pictures that can be viewed by anybody that visits the website. However, I'm not sure which code to use or how to program that feature. Is this feature coded in Javascript, Html, or CSS? I would also like to include comments that are included under each post. Any suggestions?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Letting users post on your website?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Letting users post on your website?

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

HTML, CSS and Javascript are all typically front-end languages. They are used in the user's browser to show the website and add UI behaviour.

What you are talking about is done using server-side technologies, such as PHP, ASP.NET, Java, Python, Ruby, and many more such languages, as well as database servers. Essentially, you need the server to be able to take and process data from users, and then give it back as needed. That can't be done on the front-end, and has to be done on the server itself.

If you are new to this, a very popular starting point into this kind of development is PHP and MySQL. It's real programming, though, so be prepared to do a lot more of that than you may be used to in front-end web development.

Also note that there are a lot of easy-to-use systems already out there that do this kind of stuff, like WordPress. Unless you've got an interest in learning this by doing it, there isn't much use in reinventing the wheel.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1