• +
  • Last »

173 Replies - 17403 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Around the Table

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Our group started playing together in college (*cough* 18 years ago *cough*). Once people started graduating and moving on with their lives, we stopped. For years, many of us survived in the virtual realm of MMORPGs (WoW, EverQuest, GuildWars, DDO, Warhammer Online, etc).

When we would all get together for something - Superbowl Parties, kids birthdays, weddings, funerals - there would always be some "we should start tabletop gaming again" conversation, but then the excuses would start... "I work weekends", "My wife thinks DnD is evil", "The kids go to bed at 6", "I can't game, there are too many women to chase", "Haven't you guys outgrown this shit?", and so on and so forth.

More people moved out of the area, some people moved back into the area, some switched jobs, more married off, more started popping out kids, some flat out said they never wanted to game again. Old nerds were replaced with new nerds (because there is apparently a special nerd magnetism that draws nerds to other nerds in social settings) and by the time we started hitting our mid-30s, we just wanted an escape from real life, so we started gaming again. We have 9 people in our gaming group - 5 from our old college group and 4 we've picked up along the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

There is also a Firefly, D20 Judge Dredd, and several other systems converted into D20.

I will have to check on pathfinder, I enjoyed DnD 3.0/3.5, D20 system in general. 4th Edition just messed it up IMO.

Shadow Run is one my favorite games. When I story told for White Wolf I mixed the entire system in. One Campaign, I had them draw there "races" out of a hat and they all had amnesia and had to get out of a ware house full of traps. They RP'd it very well, the only 2 that truly figured out what they were before they hit the boss was the wraith and the vampire (he ran into sun light by accident)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

Was going to play some table-top with some friends, but we could never pull the $ together to buy a set as a group.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

View Postalapee, on 07 August 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I will have to check on pathfinder, I enjoyed DnD 3.0/3.5, D20 system in general. 4th Edition just messed it up IMO.

We were at a Sci-Fi Con last month and saw a vendor selling dice sets claiming they were specific to 5th Edition DnD and that this new edition requires two D20s and several other dice mods. I've done a fair bit of searching online to verify this and I haven't been able to locate a single source to corroborate their story. Everything I've read indicates that 5th Edition is very similar to 3.0/3.5 in mechanics. I'm curious to try it out.

By the way, Xaos, Amazon has the DnD 5.0 Starter Kits for less than $14. You don't need the big, fancy game board. We use a dry erase board with a grid taped over it. Some of us have actual DnD minis, others of us (like my best friend) uses a little Mojo Jojo that fell off of a Power Puff Girls Christmas ornament. I use a tiny Darth Vader I got from a 25 cent vending machine in one of those little plastic bubbles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Xaos the System Resource Document for 3.0/3.5 is online for free, it contains the basic rules, spells, monsters, etc.
3.5 SRD
Modern/Future SRD

The Zips contain everything and only are a couple of megabytes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

View Postalapee, on 07 August 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Shadow Run is one my favorite games. When I story told for White Wolf I mixed the entire system in. One Campaign, I had them draw there "races" out of a hat and they all had amnesia and had to get out of a ware house full of traps. They RP'd it very well, the only 2 that truly figured out what they were before they hit the boss was the wraith and the vampire (he ran into sun light by accident)

I love Shadowrun. It was the first RPG I really got into - and I got into computers in part because I wanted to be a Decker IRL.

As for White Wolf...man I've got stories upon stories, but easily my favorite game I ever played in the World of Darkness setting was a game where we all played vanilla humans during World War 2. We were dropped into Germany as part of Operation Market Garden, and found ourselves trapped in this small village being hunted by something. I still don't know what it was, but it was gruesome. Probably not a vampire because it painted the walls in blood.

It was awesome. Only one PC got out alive (not me).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Oh hey, may have to talk to them then. We have 6 people in my pow-wow group and I think it'd be fun. We'd achieve all new levels of nerddom, and I'm okay with that.

Also where the hell do you have 25c machines that drop off little Star Wars figures? I'd buy the whole damn thing
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Ever Played the Dead Lands Series?
Dead Lands : Weird West
Dead Lands : Hell on Earth
Dead Lands : Weird Wars
Dead Lands : Lost Colony

Think Alt History Wild West with Monsters. In the original you could use a deck of playing cards to play the game. D20 version converted over nicely and I haven't play the Savage World version yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

I got the Vader figure YEARS ago... roughly around the time of the Episode 1 release when everything Star Wars was cool again. It sat on my shelf with all my other Star Wars stuff until I had a need for it. Now it lives in my dice bag (my awesome dice bag that arrived with my awesome steampunk dice set I received for Christmas last year -- thank you, Secret Satan!!).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

I've got a collection of old star wars figures still in packaging, somewhere in my parents storage room, untouched for some like 20 years, whenever the movies were rereleased with the new CGI effects and Han shot last.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

I will sell you my virgin soul.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

What good is a virgin soul? Rather one that knows what it's doing
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Satan/Cthulhu sacrifice?

Also, what kind of dice should I get? Cheap-o dice that will only fit the minimum requirement of the game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Pound-o-Dice
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -