Using windows installer?

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 10440 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Publishing in Visual Studio 2005

Post icon  Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:09 AM

Hi,

I'm relatively new to software development and i've started learning all about the .NET Framework and am currently using Visual C# Express 2008 BETA 2 at work but use VB + C# 2005 Express at home.

I've learnt a lot about C# and VB code from tutorials on the MSDN website but there seems to be nothing out there that explains just how to make a proper installer for my applications. I've read about clickonce, but to be honest I dont care about new features and updates i just need an installer GUI that looks professional and can be changed to include my logo like i have seen on so many other professional software applications.

I've heard about Windows Installer and heard that there are namespaces within the .NET Framework that allow use of windows installer which in therory means that you can use it with the Visual Studio Express editions, but I can't find anything that explains just how to use it.

If anyone knows a tutorial on the internet that would help me or knows what to do, any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Publishing in Visual Studio 2005

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Publishing in Visual Studio 2005

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe that feature isnt available in the Express editions. I believe adding an installation package project is only available in the full version of Visual Studio (Express editions are a scaled down version of Visual Studio), so you will either have to figure out a way to get your hands on Visual Studio or you're stuck with ClickOnce.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 12 Oct, 2007 - 05:10 AM, said:

I could be wrong, but I believe that feature isnt available in the Express editions. I believe adding an installation package project is only available in the full version of Visual Studio (Express editions are a scaled down version of Visual Studio), so you will either have to figure out a way to get your hands on Visual Studio or you're stuck with ClickOnce.

Hmm yeah my thoughts exactly. Does anyone know anything about windows installer or how it is used? Like i say, there are no articles on the internet about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:29 AM

You cannot just download Windows Installer to create an installation package, you can do that with Wise Install, Install Shield, and a couple others. The Windows Installer is what you get when you add an installation project in Visual Studio.

You cannot just download Windows Installer to create an installation package, you can do that with Wise Install, Install Shield, and a couple others. The Windows Installer is what you get when you add an installation project in Visual Studio.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

Ahh that'll be why theres nothing on google about it then :wub: apologies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

Try SharpDevelop. CLICK HERE. :).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -