5 Replies - 901 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Could I build this site with Wordpress and Buddypress

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi guys

I am working on building a site and have spent the last couple of weeks doing research online to work out which CMS to use. I've come to the conclusion that, as a beginner (I only know some html, css and javascript), my best option is to use wordpress combined with budypress.

In terms of the site's functionality I need users to be able to create accounts, follow each other and view activity. I'll be posting on the site.

The first thing I wanted to ask about is enabling users to save posts to their profiles (for future reference). I know that Tastykitchen.com allows users to save recipes (i.e. posts) to their profiles, and that's a buddypress site. So my first question is, does anyone know if this is a standard feature of Buddypress or is this custom? If so, how would I go about adding it to the site?

The other issue is the bit I'm really unsure of. As part of my posts I'll be including lists of items. I need users to be able to save the individual items listed in their post to their profiles. So, for example, if I list a bowl they like, they can save it (and the associated external link) to their profile. Can anyone advise on whether this sounds doable and how it would be approached?

Thank you for your help.

Vic

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Could I build this site with Wordpress and Buddypress

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Could I build this site with Wordpress and Buddypress

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I need users to be able to create accounts, follow each other and view activity.

The first thing I wanted to ask about is enabling users to save posts to their profiles (for future reference). I know that Tastykitchen.com allows users to save recipes (i.e. posts) to their profiles, and that's a buddypress site. So my first question is, does anyone know if this is a standard feature of Buddypress or is this custom? If so, how would I go about adding it to the site?

Do you think a blog CMS is really the best route for this all?

The other issue is the bit I'm really unsure of. As part of my posts I'll be including lists of items. I need users to be able to save the individual items listed in their post to their profiles. So, for example, if I list a bowl they like, they can save it (and the associated external link) to their profile. Can anyone advise on whether this sounds doable and how it would be approached?

Exactly would they be saving? An item ID that pulls up an item page like in a pseudo-amazon style?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 13 August 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

I need users to be able to create accounts, follow each other and view activity.

Do you think a blog CMS is really the best route for this all?

Exactly would they be saving? An item ID that pulls up an item page like in a pseudo-amazon style?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a beginner and I need to get something up quickly so the Wordpress/Buddypress combination is a good option. I appreciate it is not the optimum option but I believe it can do what I need it to. In order to be able to get the site up soon I am happy to make the compromises that will require.

The idea is that they would be saving an item that would simply show up saved in their account. All that would need to save is a picture of the item and an external link. It wouldn't be necessary for the item to have its own page although it could have if that would work best.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Come to think of it, the user wouldn't necessarily need to save the item. They could simply like the item, and all their liked items be stored in and accessible viable their account.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

Can anyone advise on this please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Advise on what? You did not explain what you expect to have. A profile page listing the likes? A new page? Etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1