4 Replies - 293 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2014 - 12:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Intermediate Python Book - for progression onto server development

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi there!

I'll skip the storyline... Can anybody recommend a good python book of intermediate to advanced difficulty to help me reinforce / learn more of Python. I have completed the 'Learn Python the Hard Way' and 'Codecademy' courses however I feel slightly lacking in detailed knowledge if Python.

I'm looking to advance my Python into such projects involving Django, Requests, API's and other frameworks and libraries based around servers and web-development. If anyone knows of a book to help me reinforce Python knowledge ( even if it was an 'advanced' tutorial ) and/or good books on Python Web Development and servers I'd be very grateful!

-matthew

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intermediate Python Book - for progression onto server development

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intermediate Python Book - for progression onto server development

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Covering intermediate to advanced Python is Programming Python by Mark Lutz, which covers the topics you mention (not Django though).

Be aware, that it is a huge tome, and a lot of wading to be done!

To be honest, I don't like it very much, but there aren't many books that cover these subjects in such depth. Just don't attempt to read it from cover to cover.

Read the reviews first, and try to read some sample content, as it may be too advanced for the level you are at. It's not the easiest read.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

This should be a useful wiki-link as well:

Web Programming in Python
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Beazley's desk reference (in Addison/Wesley's Developers Library series) is a very good collection of information about python and its standard libraries. This is good when if you want to get some text about, say, parsing xml, and the online docs aren't doing it for you. The Python Standard Library By Example, in the same series, looks good though I don't own it so I can't say from experience.

Django is interesting - I've been working in django for a little while and there are no really good books on it that I've found. There's one, but it was written for 1.1, and hasn't been updated. On the other hand, the official tutorials are pretty good for getting you started, and the rest of the documentation is excellent in places, and completely missing in other places. So you can learn some stuff there, and then you get to defining model fields and you more or less fall off a cliff and you have to search around and figure it out.

But really the only way to get in-depth knowledgeable about python - or any language, for that matter - is to write a lot of code and be curious. Fling yourself gaily into the deep waters of your ignorance and splash around for a while. Write programs and then rewrite them. Solve as many euler problems as you can (projecteuler.net) and then go over to rosalind.info and play with their problems as well.

If you haven't done any theory - CS courses like algorithms or compilers or the like - then I strongly recommend you pursue that knowledge. There's a lot more to programming than languages, and CS is about that. Start with a data structures and algorithms course - Tim Roughgarden's two-part course on Coursera is excellent - since that will give you the most basic building blocks of code. I also see that Jeff Ullman's Automata course is running again soon. That's a great course, dealing with some deep stuff in a very accessible way. Also, Dan Grossman's Programming Languages course is interesting, and will expose you to some interesting stuff - I'm not a huge fan of that one, but it does cover some good ground, so I'm not going to steer you away from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

jon said:

Beazley's desk reference (in Addison/Wesley's Developers Library series) is a very collection of information about python and its standard libraries.

I really like this book (Python Essential Reference). It is designated as a reference book, but I think it introduces each topic quite well. It is more accessible than Programming Python so you might want to look at this first, even though it doesn't claim to be a tutorial. It's a useful book to own anyway.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 15 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1