4 Replies - 2089 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

Okay, I've been dealing with this issue for awhile now. Every now and then my computer will completely freeze up and is unable to recover. I have to get up, restart my pc, and hope that everything I was working on has saved. Luckily for me, Visual Studio and Android Studio have an auto-save feature that has saved my life more than a few times. But, still, this problem is extremely inconvenient.

Very rarely, though, my computer will be able to recover itself.. This is when I get a "Your graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered." message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen.

My first immediate reaction was that my graphics cards were going out.. They were old, so anyone could have figured that... I immediately went to Best Buy and bought a new graphics card.. It was an AMD graphics card, and it was going to go into an Nvidia motherboard, so I asked the guy at Best Buy if that was okay and he assured me it was... But, to my dismay, the same exact problem happened that very night.

After a little bit of research, a bunch of people said it was probably a driver conflict, so I downloaded a program that deletes all Nvidia graphics drivers (for my old graphics cards), and it seemed to have worked smoothly enough. The drivers were deleted, along with any registry keys Nvidia may have left behind... Still, the same problem...

So, one day when I was in best buy to purchase something completely unrelated, I asked a tech up there what they think the issue might be, making sure to give them all the information I have just given you... They said that my PCI Express port might be going out, and I may need a new motherboard.... I took his advice and am still saving the money for a new motherboard/cpu combo... But, the weird thing is, i've noticed that the problem doesn't arise completely at random like you would expect with a failing PCI Express port..

The problem ONLY arises if my computer is receiving input.. Either controlling the mouse or giving keyboard input.. Mostly it happens when I am playing a game, or I have just switched windows (like if I switch from VS to my web browser). If I leave my computer on and turn the screen off, the computer will stay on forever without any problems at all... I know this because I operate a WAMP server and am able to connect to it during the day while I'm at work... I know that WAMP doesn't work when my computer freezes because one day I had interacted with my computer in the morning and then left for work.. Apparently after the interaction my computer froze, and I was unable to access my server until I got home and restarted it...

I CANNOT understand what the hell is going on here... Since the problem really isn't random, I'm guessing it isn't a hardware issue... So, I'm at a loss of what to do... Any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

There's a fix, and another suggestion, by Microsoft here:
https://support.micr....com/kb/2665946

I would also advocate running ccleaner and clean up bad registry information.
https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

AMD suggestions:
http://support.amd.c...ormessages.aspx

Both ATI and NVIDIA
http://www.computert...ows-7-vista-xp/

When this happens - what is the error out of the event viewer?
start -> control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer

The other is - to see how your cpu/heatsink is setup. If that is working as it should, or if it is collapsing under heavy load from a game or something like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

Ahh. I will try all of these fixes and give you a copy of my error report as soon as I get home. I forgot all about the event viewer. Thank you modi!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hate to resurrect an old thread of mine, but my computer is still having the same issue.. I tried all of the fixes above and to no avail...

Sooooo... Here's my event viewer log, under "System":

Spoiler

This post has been edited by optix212: 30 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:48 AM

It doesn't have to be software issues, it can also be motherboard issues. I had a gamer pc once that ran into the same troubles as you got.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1