3 Replies - 1072 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Toshiba Satellite boot up problem

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

my toshiba laptop won't boot up, the screen displays no bootable device and the caps lock is lit up. Any idea's?? I bought a new HDD but it hasn't made any difference.....
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Toshiba Satellite boot up problem

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Toshiba Satellite boot up problem

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Are you getting any beeps from he computer on boot? If so how many? Can you hear the CPU kicking up, and the fans starting? When was the last time you applied heatsink compound to your CPU and cooling block? How old is the computer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

There is really no way to give you a halfway decent answer based on so little info. There are so many things that could be going on there.

How old is this laptop? Is it still covered by a warranty?

The best thing to do in this situation is to take the laptop to an actual repair shop and have them take a look. If you go fiddling around with it, without proper training to do so, based on vague guesses from a forum, then you're more likely to cause more damage.

If you want a vague guess based on what you told us, mine would be that the motherboard is fried in some way. If you know you have bootable devices (a new HDD and, presumably, a CD/DVD drive) which are not being shown up during the boot sequence, then it seems to me that the controller for that on the motherboard isn't functioning properly. Perhaps a blown capacitor, or a fried circuit somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

This is an incredibly old post, but just to provide some troubleshooting tips :

1.) If you are getting the caps lock light, hit caps lock. Does it respond? If not, it's locked. If it does, you've verified that the CPU is responsive, as the request is made at the keyboard, through the hardware (because this is pre-os), down the bus, to the CPU & the response is making it back in order to illuminate (or quiet) the led. This is very useful & very very easy. Most often the Non Responsive Caps Lock LED indicates hardware failure, or the CPU locked from GPU over-heating. I used to see this a lot when the HP laptops were garbage (around the dv9000 time). But they also didn't display anything on the lcd. It's best to backup the displayed error with some troubleshooting.

2.) Try the hard drive in another environment. If you don't see your HDD in BIOS, but see it elsewhere, then as suggested your logic board is potentially faulty. If the problem follows, then it's a safe assumption that it is the drive. The drive will show up in BIOS regardless of OS, partitions, or anything. It is communication between the PCB & the bios. All important stuff.

Hopefully you got this sorted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1