13 Replies - 1255 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what does it cost?

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

I work for a small company that repairs computers and sets up networks for small businesses. I am not very technical in this aspect and am here to expand my knowledge in this area. I am however, able to code, and offering my assistance where I can. I've done a couple small projects that have made great returns for me (I get paid minimum wage hourly and am rewarded with half of what my programs are sold for). Most recently, I've built a website for a company that surveys students. This particular program lets students logon with a course key and student ID, and take the survey. The results are stored to a database and then reviewed by a the administrator on the backend. I used html, css, javascript, C#, and SQL to develop it. I spent many hours dealing with the client to have it just the way they wanted it. How much should this client be charged? I think my shop might be charging too much because they know this company is in a bind to have it done. (the old program was in cold fusion and not compatible on the new server, or so i'm told).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what does it cost?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what does it cost?

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

How many billable hours did you put into this? What are the company's expenses in terms of paying you? Who is paying for the hosting? How much profit does your employer wish to make? Start quantifying the variables.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've put about or around 30 hours into it(there was a leaning curve for me), mostly on my own time. I've maybe spent 10 hours in the shop dealing with it so my company has invested about 80 dollars in my labor. We bill the client annually for the hosting. Should this client be spending thousands of dollars for the development?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Do you know what your company charges as the hourly rate?

Most development runs $100 ~ $300/ hr depending on the several variables. That covers salaries and overhead for the company. It may seem like a lot, but so is the money usually made off the systems once they are completed ( not always but, generally).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

25/hour as a new programmer should be the dead minimum you take in most areas. Anything less is normally insulting, and indication that you need to get to a better area.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:23 AM

Everyone thinks the boss/company/"The Man" charges too much.
Try running your own business where you have to:
Pay the staff
Pay taxes
Pay insurance
Pay the utilities
Pay the office space lease
Buy the equipment
Buy the software
Pay for advertising
etc. etc.

Its not possible to keep the doors open in a business if he only charged the client for your time. What about the power to keep your PC running, or the salesperson that has 10 hours in writing up the estimate, or the inventory in networking hardware, or the cost of shipping....? Your time is probably the LEAST expensive part of the entire equation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 16 September 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

Everyone thinks the boss/company/"The Man" charges too much.
Try running your own business where you have to:
Pay the staff
Pay taxes
Pay insurance
Pay the utilities
Pay the office space lease
Buy the equipment
Buy the software
Pay for advertising
etc. etc.

Its not possible to keep the doors open in a business if he only charged the client for your time. What about the power to keep your PC running, or the salesperson that has 10 hours in writing up the estimate, or the inventory in networking hardware, or the cost of shipping....? Your time is probably the LEAST expensive part of the entire equation.

I understand where you are coming from and I know that much eludes this conversation but do you think that 3k is too low or 8k is too high based on what you know... What would you ball park a project like this?

View PostLemur, on 15 September 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

25/hour as a new programmer should be the dead minimum you take in most areas. Anything less is normally insulting, and indication that you need to get to a better area.

Yes, I work for peanuts and it is insulting at times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'd look at it this way with pricing- what do you feel you are worth hourly? If you put in 40 hours of work and feel you are worth $25/hour, figure x/2 + 8(40) >= 25(40) are your earnings. (I assumed you made $8/hour rather than $7.25 to make the math easier, but the concept holds if you lower to $7.25). Note that x is how much you charge the client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

What would you ball park a project like this?

There is a lot that goes into pricing a project, most of it is probably stuff either you don't think about or is just outside of your pay grade.

Development time is a small factor.

All we know is you built an ASP project that takes survey results. Could you build a project on that spec? I would need more information to build it, much less price it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

our company charges 150 an hour for updates 300 for new code
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postwjg284, on 16 September 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yes, I work for peanuts and it is insulting at times.

Look elsewhere for work.

Not sure, but it feels like you're asking here, for confirmation.

For what it's worth, I run a pc repair shop, with multiple employees. Our first employee technician I was able to pay (a squeek above) minimum wage, because that's what the business could afford. When he found out that I was previously paying (a friend that we'll call) a contractor to do logic board soldering he expected the same rate ontop of his minimum wage. Part of the reason for me hiring him was because he said in his interview that he had this skill set & thus it actually would cost the shop less to perform the same repairs.

I gave him the option to keep his job that he was hired to do, or leave. He stayed, wasn't happy, did a piss poor job & was let go.

My advice to you, if you are unhappy with pc repair work & want to be a programmer, then reach for the stars & follow your heart. But you can't expect there to be money where there isn't. If you are paid by the hour, the work may change but your pay will not. To make the money you after, it will be in your best interest (imo) to change employers, or change careers (from a repair tech to a developer), or start freelancing.

Just one more thing, I may have missed the point of the question initially... there isn't really a 'general' charge, as the programming languages used, the location, & the industry all have defining factors in the rate to charge the client. If it's too high, then the client has the opportunity to say no, argue for a lower rate, or shop elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hell, as a consultant 20 years ago I charged $100/hour. And expenses. Nice to be paid for driving to far away sites...

Consultants (which a programmer for hire essentially is ) often make what sounds like a considerable amount of money. However, that's the gross. After insurance and taxes are taken out, you'll want to make 25-50% more than your salaried counterpart just be break even. Also, contract work isn't always the steadiest gig.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

great insight
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

The 25 an hour is based on a wage for a programmer in a small town. Let's say they make $20 an hour, that ends up roughly $40k a year which is a teachers salary about. 25 puts you up to 50k, but this is assuming you work 40 hours a week every week roughly. That's perfectly reasonable, and people are just trying to be cheap and cut corners where possible. Why not exploit the newbie who charges less than 10% of what "real" programmers do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1