5 Replies - 1220 Views - Last Post: 25 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

From novice to employed: Which language? About Internships?

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

tl;dr:
1) Which language is in more demand for backend/full stack development Javascript or Ruby? (and also more likely to be able to used by a remote employee)
2) After about 2-3 projects, I'm thinking about emailing startups (weworkremotely.com) to see if I can intern with them. Good idea?

long winded post, lol:

Hi! I'm a long time lurker on the forum. When I first started posting years ago, I was playing around with the idea of programming as a hobby only. Since then a settled down to be a stay at home mom. Now, I'm getting divorced and would like a job that's not in customer service, I'd like to actually become a professional. I'm studying for the Project+ exam and trying to learn about programming as well.

Now, my ex-husband says "Learn Ruby and write your own paychecks!" So, I'm interested in back-end programming since I'm terrible with design (front end, I guess). I've been taking Web Application course at Coursera and currently on the Ruby/JS track at team tree house. They are finishing up a node.js track that should be available soon.

Also, I've had a project rolling around in my head for a long time and figured it would be a good learning exercise since it uses everything I've been learning. It's a RPG game that uses databases for everything (items, characters, etc) and eventually, I'd like to it be a persistent world. It's just a text browser game. I did some research and found that a Javascript full stack would be better because of event handling. (not really sure what that means, yet!)

Anyway, I'm asking should I stick with Ruby or switch over to Javascript. Even though I'd like to complete my personal project, my overall plan is to learn something inside out and know enough to get a job. This project will be one of the things on my github that shows my ability. Honestly, I just want the language that is in more demand currently and increase my ability to get a job. (I have kiddies to feed,lol)

Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by Realedazed: 25 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: From novice to employed: Which language? About Internships?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: From novice to employed: Which language? About Internships?

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Also, I've had a project rolling around in my head for a long time and figured it would be a good learning exercise since it uses everything I've been learning. It's a RPG game

I can't speak to the strength of your programming abilities; however, an RPG is a terrible idea for a learning project if you are a beginner. Folks get muddled down and write crap code. They then learn a bit, refactor a bit, and repeat. In the end, the game usually doesn't get anywhere and folks become lost/frustrated. Check out Martyr2's Project List preview for some good ideas.

Anyway, I'm asking should I stick with Ruby or switch over to Javascript. Even though I'd like to complete my personal project, my overall plan is to learn something inside out and know enough to get a job. This project will be one of the things on my github that shows my ability. Honestly, I just want the language that is in more demand currently and increase my ability to get a job. (I have kiddies to feed,lol)

Both languages are useful. I've never done full stack, so someone else may have more insight. However, keep in mind that languages are tools. Don't lock yourself into only one language. Why not learn both? You might also look at full stack jobs in your area and see what they require/list. Pick a couple of those languages. Certain areas favor certain languages. For example, my hometown is a big .NET town.

Again, I can't speak to your programming experience/competency, but it generally takes about a year to get up to speed on things from no prior experience. Just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck in your career change!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

The view is kind of twisted. Remote work greatly depends on who is doing the hiring and their trust level. Aside from that,

What is your definition of full stack developer?

Continue learning Ruby, take on RoR when you think your ready. That is strictly backend. Javascript is for when you are ready for front end work.

If you are already learning Ruby, though, continue to and get well versed. Also, understand that not all languages react the way ruby does things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 25 September 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Check out Martyr2's Project List preview for some good ideas.

Thanks! That's actually something I've been looking for. Everything I've thought of so far has been too complicated for a newbie.

View Postastonecipher, on 25 September 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

The view is kind of twisted. Remote work greatly depends on who is doing the hiring and their trust level. Aside from that,

What is your definition of full stack developer?

My ex was able to get a remote job doing either .Net programming or OnBase (or both, I can't remember). He's gotten a bunch of remote and onsite offers as well. Aside from a few college courses, he's completely self taught - and lucky. I wish I knew exactly what he did because that could be something I'd want to get into later. If you didn't notice, I really want to telecommute! I'm a free-spirited stay at home mom - I'm actually dreading the 9-5, lol. But, it must be done.

In all honesty, if I could work on-site for a while and get some much needed experience, it would be nice. Also optional telecommuting it would be awesome. Over time, I could either do side projects and build up my freelancing biz or convince my current employee to allow me to work 100% remotely.

Anyway, my definition of full stack is everything having to do with a website: client programming, database, UI, server programming, networking. Honestly, I'm still learning as I go but I've seen the term come up a few times while looking at developer wanted ads.

Sorry, I get a tad long winded sometimes. :)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostRealedazed, on 25 September 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

Anyway, my definition of full stack is everything having to do with a website: client programming, database, UI, server programming, networking. Honestly, I'm still learning as I go but I've seen the term come up a few times while looking at developer wanted ads.

By your definition, I guess I am one. I do everything but the front-end design UX side of things, and then a few other things.

Internships I can't advise on, in my area the only way an employer will offer an intern/ externship is for a registered student in a specific field of study.

For languages, Ruby is an awesome still budding language. What you need to figure out is, what do I want to really learn first? Back end encompasses a whole lot areas, front end (language wise) covers HTML, CSS, JS, and a host of bootstrap and spinoffs.

Networking... What specifically in networking? One of the other areas I am in is system administration. If you are looking at router configuration, and such that more hardware related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

At the very least you're going to want to know Ruby and Javascript.

Go over Mike Hartl's Rails Tutorial: https://www.railstutorial.org/book

I work professionally with Rails and AngularJS. Angular is huge right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1