• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 8414 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

• Nero

• View blog

So this felt good and I thought I'd share

Post icon  Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

POPULAR

Putting this in Corner Cubicle because it happened at work with coworkers on a work related project, etc. It's generally programming-centric but felt this was the appropriate place. Feel free to move if you think there's somewhere more appropriate.

Since I started my current job I've felt like everyone I work with knows so much more than me. I've felt like that's a great thing - it's not a feeling of inadequacy, just an understanding that I'm new to the field and my team is a lot more experienced.

I've gone through several projects this past year and learned quite a bit. Yesterday I was asked to help on a new MVC project. I said sure, and among other tasks I took what existed and split it out into more manageable chunks of code (which is what was asked of me).

I discussed with the lead on this project what they were aiming for, and offered her suggestions based on things I had done previously, to see if she'd like me to implement something similar. I showed her how I was using Razor to call cshtml files inside cshtml files, how I was using the Controller to access those Views from an Ajax call, etc. so the page never has to reload, etc. Anyway, the mechanics of it are beside the point.

Sitting with her I realized something. I just threw all that together from memory. This time last year I had barely touched jQuery or AJAX. Razor was a completely foreign concept to me. MVC was just a design pattern I was passingly familiar with the concept of. I realized I've learned a lot in less than a year, and it's a pretty good feeling.

Have you had a similar experience? Have you had occasion to see yourself do something and be surprised how easily you did it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: So this felt good and I thought I'd share

• They're watching you, Neo!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So this felt good and I thought I'd share

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

First of all, congratulations for your achievement! :)

As about me, i learned programming out of pure chance. One day in high school i saw a colleague of mine writing some html tags for a web page and i asked him what he was doing. It sounded very interesting to me, so i asked him to teach me. After many years in which i jumped from html to php and from php to C, C++, C# on my own, i had a lot of opportunities to stop and think "hey, i knew that from memory! and one year ago i had no idea what it meant!". It is a warm feeling of self-pride and confidence, not to mention that is also fueling the desire of more, always MORE.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm happy you got that feeling!

I had that happen to me about a month ago, I was asked to create a program that generated a couple hundred thousand unique alphanumeric keys, and I was given ~10 minutes to do it. A year ago I didn't have much experience with random number generators, but using the knowledge I had gained within that year I was able to create the program in 7 minutes and output the keys in 2 minutes it wasn't very streamlined but it worked, and that made me happy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks! That's actually not far off from how I got in to it. Except for me I was like 12, had just gotten the internet, and found a website where this guy was going on about how he had learned to make websites and if he could do it anyone could. I decided to learn HTML and from there it evolved. I eventually went to school for it when I was 26. But yea, seeing milestones makes it all worthwhile
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• They're watching you, Neo!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think for many people around here HTML was the starting point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

View Postybadragon, on 09 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

I'm happy you got that feeling!

I had that happen to me about a month ago, I was asked to create a program that generated a couple hundred thousand unique alphanumeric keys, and I was given ~10 minutes to do it. A year ago I didn't have much experience with random number generators, but using the knowledge I had gained within that year I was able to create the program in 7 minutes and output the keys in 2 minutes it wasn't very streamlined but it worked, and that made me happy.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but random does not imply unique. Best approach to that problem, if you ask me, is hashing a list of strings of the form "salt1", "salt2", ... "saltN". Hashing is highly collision-resistant, whereas random offers no collision resistance at all.

(this assumes of course that simple sequential IDs are not allowable... if sequential is allowable, then this is even easier)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

One of these days Jon I'm going to disguise an electric fence as a misguided opinion just to laugh at you when you whiz on it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Even better is:
http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JugHome
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Meh. I'd have it written before you could finish downloading that.
(but it's a cute find, for sure)

View Postdepricated, on 09 October 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

One of these days Jon I'm going to disguise an electric fence as a misguided opinion just to laugh at you when you whiz on it

I told you before - I'm the disillusionist.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

I wrote my own method for handling that, it was just a list of int, not hard to handle checking for duplicate entries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 October 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

Meh. I'd have it written before you could finish downloading that.
(but it's a cute find, for sure)

View Postdepricated, on 09 October 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

I told you before - I'm the disillusionist.

I just like that UUID libs have better collision guarantees than hashing (though using the right hash is usually fine). If I'd used a hash strategy in my recently stood-up service, it wouldn't have passed security review :\

View Postybadragon, on 09 October 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

I wrote my own method for handling that, it was just a list of int, not hard to handle checking for duplicate entries.

Use a set instead! =p

With respect to the original post, it always feels good to feel like an expert. I do feel that in this industry, that moment is fleeting, so I try to savor them if ever I'm able to help somebody without sounding like a total cock-up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

View Postxclite, on 09 October 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

I just like that UUID libs have better collision guarantees than hashing (though using the right hash is usually fine). If I'd used a hash strategy in my recently stood-up service, it wouldn't have passed security review :\

Depends on the quantity, I guess. In the range of ~500K IDs I think you're still well below birthday paradox numbers. For heavy-duty usage, yeah, I'll go with your library for sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hey man, it's awesome you've gotten to finally experience that!

I used to do it all the time, back in high school when I was a better coder than I am now. Something that I was able to do earlier this year though is apply existing knowledge that I had about mobile development and apply it to Xamarin.iOS, which is in C#. It was challenging, yes, but the existing knowledge I had made it easy to spit out LOTS of code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 October 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

View Postxclite, on 09 October 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Depends on the quantity, I guess. In the range of ~500K IDs I think you're still well below birthday paradox numbers. For heavy-duty usage, yeah, I'll go with your library for sure.

Unrelated, we should beer soon. I made a wheat that turned out aight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

I haven't got there yet (today is officially week 1 for me, I started last Wednesday). I did receive a rather large list of things I need to learn, however. I'm pretty new to jQuery and Ajax myself so hopefully I'll learn what I need to in no time. I have noticed how much faster I learn things on the job than when I was working on projects at home after work. I love the job so far, but on one occasion I have felt the need to throw my coffee mug across the room and I'm sure there will be plenty more of those days to come.

Right now I'm having an incredibly difficult time learning their API considering there is no real documentation on how to use it. I've been given a list of things to learn, however, and I'm pretty excited.

Going from working in the used car business as a marketing director to programming was a huge leap for me, especially with no formal college degree.

Anyways good deal :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +