3 Replies - 6438 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2007 - 11:09 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Displaying Chinese Characters

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

I have an unusual problem. I have a string of Chinese lettering ("第二十屆北美漢語語言學會議", which displays properly on a .htm or .html page, but displays this "第Œ��†Œ—Ž漢žž€œƒ" on a .cfm page.

Here is the code I am using:

#chinese {
	color: #707070;
	font-size: .8em;
	letter-spacing:.2em;
}
<span id="chinese" lang="zh">第二十屆北美漢語語言學會議</span>

I have tried several dialects as langauge codes, and none of them have come close. Any ideas on how to get ColdFusion to recognize these characters would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Displaying Chinese Characters

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Displaying Chinese Characters

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure if it's really important that it be "text", but you could always make the characters into a graphic.

View Postfuzzyjello, on 17 Oct, 2007 - 07:44 AM, said:

I have an unusual problem. I have a string of Chinese lettering ("第二十屆北美漢語語言學會議", which displays properly on a .htm or .html page, but displays this "第二��屆北美漢語語言會" on a .cfm page.

Here is the code I am using:

#chinese {
	color: #707070;
	font-size: .8em;
	letter-spacing:.2em;
}
<span id="chinese" lang="zh">第二十屆北美漢語語言學會議</span>

I have tried several dialects as langauge codes, and none of them have come close. Any ideas on how to get ColdFusion to recognize these characters would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

What encoding are you using? I think CFContent will let you change the encoding type of the document. ColdFusion might be defaulting to a encoding type that's not compatible with those characters?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 17 Oct, 2007 - 10:02 AM, said:

What encoding are you using? I think CFContent will let you change the encoding type of the document. ColdFusion might be defaulting to a encoding type that's not compatible with those characters?

True, the default encoding was UTF-8 for output. I tried big5 and other Chinese dialects for my character sets, but none seemed to work.

Fortunately, I found a Chinese characters to Unicode translator, and that did the trick.

http://www.chinese-t...er-unicode.html, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your input guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1