9 Replies - 1053 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

#1 justgivemejesus  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 18-October 14

Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Rami. Glad I found this forum because I'm making a career change and have many questions. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

I currently have a B.S. in Business that I earned in 1999. My experience has mainly been in sales and looking to get into software development. I'm undecided, thinking C++ or Java; but I want to earn an associates degree in Software Development or Server Administration.

Question 1. Re: Software Dev - Will it be difficult to find entry level employment with an associates degree and no experience or will my B.S. in business help get me in the door?

Question 2. Re: Server Administration - Again, will it be difficult to find entry level employment as mentioned above and would Linux be the way to go or Microsoft?

Thanks!!

Rami

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12134
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,117
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Welcome to Dream.in.Code! I'll move this to the Corner Cubicle.

I will note that in either case, it's your skills that are the big selling point, not the degree. The degrees are good for some basic familiarity with the languages, technologies, and networking with folks in the industry via your school's career fairs. Industry level projects are much bigger than the classroom projects though, especially the small-scale projects you'll get in an associates degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 justgivemejesus  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 18-October 14

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Is one career more in demand? Software dev vs. Server admin? Just don't want yo regret any decisions as I am 45 yrs old and wasted enough of my life with dead end jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12134
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,117
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

In general, there is plenty of work in both fields. In your case, I would look at your locality and see what is more in demand. Of course, I would encourage you to take classes in both areas (if you decide to go back to school) to find out which you enjoy more. No use jumping careers only to be miserable in the new one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 astonecipher  Icon User is offline

  • Too busy for this
  • member icon

Reputation: 2329
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9,356
  • Joined: 03-December 12

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

Where are you located? Search for those keywords and SEE what is available around you. Both have requirements, that from the sounds of it you do not currently possess.

You are looking at a solid year or two to be proficient in a single language to be marketable. To be a full-time server administrator, you will need a combination of scripting ability and deep understanding of either windows server or *nix environments. (Provable and demonstrable)

Why are you looking at this field now? Hopefully, it is more than you can make a good living. What are you wanting from your current position that you are not getting? This is not an easy field and takes constant learning to keep pace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 justgivemejesus  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 18-October 14

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 October 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

In general, there is plenty of work in both fields. In your case, I would look at your locality and see what is more in demand. Of course, I would encourage you to take classes in both areas (if you decide to go back to school) to find out which you enjoy more. No use jumping careers only to be miserable in the new one.


Thanks for your reply and the advice. I've looked at both in my area. Most jobs I find require B.S. Degree in that field and experience. My goal is to start working for a company that has plenty of IT opportunities while I'm going to school and hope perhaps to get my foot in the IT dept door, even if it's help desk and move from there.

View Postastonecipher, on 18 October 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

Where are you located? Search for those keywords and SEE what is available around you. Both have requirements, that from the sounds of it you do not currently possess.

You are looking at a solid year or two to be proficient in a single language to be marketable. To be a full-time server administrator, you will need a combination of scripting ability and deep understanding of either windows server or *nix environments. (Provable and demonstrable)

Why are you looking at this field now? Hopefully, it is more than you can make a good living. What are you wanting from your current position that you are not getting? This is not an easy field and takes constant learning to keep pace.



I'm looking at this field now becuase I need to make a good living, hate my sales job, and hoping my accounting B.S. degree will help too (although I haven't used it in 11 years?). Thank you for the advice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12134
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,117
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

If you have a degree in accounting, perhaps a data analytics position will be better. It's not sales, has a decent salary, and won't require you to spend at least a solid couple of years to learn an entirely new skillset. It also has room for you to learn some programming if you wanted and move up. That might be more up your alley.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 justgivemejesus  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 18-October 14

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 October 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

If you have a degree in accounting, perhaps a data analytics position will be better. It's not sales, has a decent salary, and won't require you to spend at least a solid couple of years to learn an entirely new skillset. It also has room for you to learn some programming if you wanted and move up. That might be more up your alley.


Like business analyst jobs? Problem is I've forgotten 80% of what accounting I learned. Also, what type of education require? Database admin? Thanks again, I'm like totally lost as to where is should start.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 18 October 2014 - 08:46 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed pointless quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12134
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,117
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Quote

Like business analyst jobs? Problem is I've forgotten 80% of what accounting I learned. Also, what type of education require? Database admin? Thanks again, I'm like totally lost as to where is should start.

A business analyst is a person who is semi-technical and is a go-between for the clients and developers. More like a project manager. A data analyst is given a lot of data and told to make sense of it. Some database skills could be helpful, but you certainly won't need to be a DBA. Statistics will be important, though. It's probably easier to pick up some basic statistics than it is to learn programming. I'd also check requirements on these positions in your area as a starting point.

Quote

Problem is I've forgotten 80% of what accounting I learned.

This is probably not a huge issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 justgivemejesus  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 18-October 14

Re: Hello - Question about getting started in new career.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 October 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Quote

Like business analyst jobs? Problem is I've forgotten 80% of what accounting I learned. Also, what type of education require? Database admin? Thanks again, I'm like totally lost as to where is should start.

A business analyst is a person who is semi-technical and is a go-between for the clients and developers. More like a project manager. A data analyst is given a lot of data and told to make sense of it. Some database skills could be helpful, but you certainly won't need to be a DBA. Statistics will be important, though. It's probably easier to pick up some basic statistics than it is to learn programming. I'd also check requirements on these positions in your area as a starting point.

Quote

Problem is I've forgotten 80% of what accounting I learned.

This is probably not a huge issue.


I appreciate the info!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1