5 Replies - 220 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Program to Control Multiple Installers and Tasks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

I apologize in advance if I'm asking this question in the wrong place.

I work for a technology group that does a lot of new PC installations for small to medium size organizations. We also do some virus removal etc.

What I'm wanting to do is write a program that can perform the initial SOP that we run on all new computers.

Right now I'm trying to get some direction on whether what I'm wanting to do is possible, and if it IS possible where I should start.

The end result would be a program that configures and installs all the other programs used in our SOP procedure.

What my question boils down to is, is it possible to create a program where information is entered into a GUI, and have that information passed on to multiple other programs' installation configurations, then have those programs installed without any further user intervention.

For example, most installers require you to hit "Next" or "Ok", enter a computer name, or a license key, and hit "Next" a few more times, and then "Install".

Can multiple programs with all of these steps be combined into one portable automated installer, with one single configuration GUI?

Sorry, If what I'm wanting to do is unclear. I'm having a difficult time putting it all into words.

I have very little experience with coding, but I have a thirst for knowledge about the subject. I'm just wanting to know what I should start learning in order to create a program that could accomplish this.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Program to Control Multiple Installers and Tasks

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Program to Control Multiple Installers and Tasks

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Isn't this just basic computer imaging 101?

example:
http://technet.micro...v=ws.10%29.aspx
http://technet.micro...e/ff721826.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 November 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Isn't this just basic computer imaging 101?

example:
http://technet.micro...v=ws.10%29.aspx
http://technet.micro...e/ff721826.aspx

Thanks, modi123. Not exactly. We've done this in the past, but since we now service over 100 different clients and are growing by the day, we need to be able to configure our SOP on the fly. Since each client has a slightly different scheme, it is still time consuming to go into each program installed on the image and make changes specific to that client, and not every client needs all the same software installed. The main thing my question is about is whether or not it is possible to interact with a program's installer, and if so how.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

I am currently in the process of creating a software deployment package so I think I know what you are looking to gain out of this. The good news is a lot of times you don't have to hit next or finish. Instead you can find the command line commands to make them install silently. I believe out of 57 programs I havee on my installer software I only have one that I cannot install silently (it's some propriatry stuff that the company created). Second, I got nailed with something I didn't forsee, system reboots. If you want to have the system continue following the system reboot then you will have to develop a more advanced program. It's fun but it was a lot of work. In short, Yes, what you are asking is possible just not in the way you described. Simple window with names of programs or actions you want to take, along with silent installs of software packages or registry edits and you are on your way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

Why reinvent the wheel? This is exactly what AutoIT was created for.
https://www.autoitscript.com/site/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Because it's something you can customize the way you want and have fun creating it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1