• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1435 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which language is for me?

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hello there,
im kind new to this forum, i'm not sure of this is the right place to ask this, but i thought it was close enough to what i wanted to ask..

so i've been struggling what i REALLY wanted to do in the future as permenant job... or rather switch over to something else...
i followed a course some month ago for basic web development, basics of HTML\CSS etc, and it went "ok" for me.
but today i felt like switching over to something different, and this is the thing, there are many language's out there for different things, make apps or whatever that may be, and i really dont know what to follow or begin with,,do i still go with webdevlopment first? and learn other language's on that road?
my first thoughts were i wanted to become a freelancer as webdeveloper. but that ofcourse would take alot of time, and i'm far from being one and a professional web-developer.
but as i said some weeks ago or rather its been on my mind for quite some time to switch over to something else..
and im quite stuck where to begin or what do i want to do with these skills.. im 19 already and i want to make fast progession, but ofcourse it will be a long road for me, since im still clueless what to do...

i hope this is the right forum to ask...

thanks in advance,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which language is for me?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language is for me?

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

There's this pinned thread:
http://www.dreaminco...uage-conundrum/

there are many language's out there for different things, make apps or whatever that may be, and i really dont know what to follow or begin with,,do i still go with webdevlopment first? and learn other language's on that road?

Ultimately this is on you. What do *YOU* want to do? I do not think anyone knows you here, your location, your study habits, etc. You need to figure out what your life plan is and direct yourself there.

my first thoughts were i wanted to become a freelancer as webdeveloper. but that ofcourse would take alot of time, and i'm far from being one and a professional web-developer.

If you want to be a web dev then.. why are you not going to put the time into being a better one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 November 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

There's this pinned thread:
http://www.dreaminco...uage-conundrum/

there are many language's out there for different things, make apps or whatever that may be, and i really dont know what to follow or begin with,,do i still go with webdevlopment first? and learn other language's on that road?

Ultimately this is on you. What do *YOU* want to do? I do not think anyone knows you here, your location, your study habits, etc. You need to figure out what your life plan is and direct yourself there.

If you want to be a web dev then.. why are you not going to put the time into being a better one?

Other things that intrested me aswell, really
making apps or other stuff, and then i'm stuck what do make of it.. i could do both but that would make up so much time i feel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

This is one of those questions that starts long and heated debate because everyone loves the language they use. The java guys promote java, the C# folks push that and so on.

I think most developers can agree that what you need to do is:

• Realize that the language is not as important as the concepts. When you truly understand OOP foundation concepts you can pick up languages as you go.
  • Work backwards from what you want to do, not from which language. If you want to make iOS apps for the iPhone/iPad market that means objective-C. If you want to make Xbox games that C#. If you want to make embedded applications for in-car computers that's C or C++.
  • Look at the job recruiting sites like monster.com - Find the jobs you would want to do. Then read the requirements. That should tell you what you need to learn.
  • "I'm 19 already" - Don't say it like you're behind the curve or your life is over. I have coats older than you. In that time I've gone from processor-specific assembly language, to C++, to C#, add in XAML, add SQL and am currently working on adding the foundations for Web API/Web Application development (Javascript and so on). Accept now that you'll be learning new coding languages continually for the rest of your time in the development industry.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

making apps or other stuff, and then i'm stuck what do make of it..

Then get a project idea and chase after it. If you think you want to make an app that helps log your boogers for structure, integrity, viscosity, color, and allows for image blogging of each sample then awesome! Determine what you want the app to do, write it all down, maybe list out what you don't want the app to do, and start poking around on languages and platforms you think you will need to be comfortable with.

Get a point and set your direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

Sorry for how this sounds, but if English is your native language that might be the first language you need to work on. I know this is *just* a forum, but I find that most people don't flip back and forth between 'real' writing and 'slack' writing. They write how they write. If I saw writing like this from a 19 year old in my email asking about a job it would be trashed. Get used to always striving to do your best, even in casual situations like this. It will become habit in your code and out, and people will notice.

If English is NOT your native language then don't worry about it as much. Learning foreign languages is tough and your English is better than my Russian <laugh>.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 07 November 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Sorry for how this sounds, but if English is your native language that might be the first language you need to work on. I know this is *just* a forum, but I find that most people don't flip back and forth between 'real' writing and 'slack' writing. They write how they write. If I saw writing like this from a 19 year old in my email asking about a job it would be trashed. Get used to always striving to do your best, even in casual situations like this. It will become habit in your code and out, and people will notice.

If English is NOT your native language then don't worry about it as much. Learning foreign languages is tough and your English is better than my Russian <laugh>.

Yeah, its kinda odd.
i have been writing english like this since forever, it seems i just write my own "English" but this will HAVE to improve for sure,
because i'm also looking to leave the country as soon as i'm succesfull with what i want to do.
thanks though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

i'm also looking to leave the country as soon as i'm succesfull with what i want to do.

They key there is finding out what you want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

View Postcrouchgod, on 07 November 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yeah, its kinda odd.
i have been writing english like this since forever, it seems i just write my own "English" but this will HAVE to improve for sure,
because i'm also looking to leave the country as soon as i'm succesfull with what i want to do.
thanks though.

Have you considered the Army? See the world and have them pay you to learn these skills. I joined right out of high school as a 32-G "Fixed Cryptographic Equipment Repairer" - meaning I repaired classified communication scrambler equipment. While you are in you can take countless classes at the on-post learning centers for free. With today's world of internet education you could even get your degree on-line despite moving from one post to another every year: I wish that existed when I was in during the 1980's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 November 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

i'm also looking to leave the country as soon as i'm succesfull with what i want to do.

They key there is finding out what you want to do.

Yeah,
its just if choose for example, that language you'd have to stick with it, and in the progress i could have regrets of doing something else.
i'll read more into the pinned tread though.

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 07 November 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

View Postcrouchgod, on 07 November 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yeah, its kinda odd.
thanks though.

Have you considered the Army? See the world and have them pay you to learn these skills. I joined right out of high school as a 32-G "Fixed Cryptographic Equipment Repairer" - meaning I repaired classified communication scrambler equipment. While you are in you can take countless classes at the on-post learning centers for free. With today's world of internet education you could even get your degree on-line despite moving from one post to another every year: I wish that existed when I was in during the 1980's.

Army?
i barely take care of my self, haha.
Nah , for real.

i think i want to stick with codes though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

Wow.. if you are going to be hung up on having some sort of regret for picking on language over another (versus picking up both) then you are going to have a hard time. If you want to some sort of assurance on a language look at your local job boards. See what comes up frequently. Bingo.. be semi market relevant. Eventually you should be familiar with programming as an activity and the syntax becomes less important than the design.

Also - please do not block quote posts above you. use the reply button not the quote/reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well, its not really like that.
its just the matter of picking which road i want to go, because if you choose to pick that road you'd have to stick with it and make your career out of it first, and then later you could still learn more or rather other programming skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

No.. I really don't think it is that black and white, or forevers. Maybe hit up a community college or something and be exposed to a smattering of things in exchange for coins.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

because if you choose to pick that road you'd have to stick with it and make your career out of it first

No, you wouldn't.

In all honesty, you should pick a language and spend about a year and a half with it. You won't be industry ready until this time, most likely. So you have time to get better at things and figure this stuff out. You don't need to be able to get a job in this tomorrow. Write lots of code. Do lots of exercises and projects. Learn to program. This is the most important aspect. The next language will be easier to pick up.

You are 19. So are you in college? Is there a local community college in your area? Take an Intro to Programming class there so you can get a feel for what programming is like and if you actually want to do it. Some structure wouldn't hurt, either. Plus, with a classroom environment, you can collaborate with your peers. This is actually quite useful- being able to talk with folks in the same boat as you and learn from their experiences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

Let's get real... you're 19. You have 60 more years of working life ahead of you since the retirement age will be around 80 by the time you get there. Even if you retired at 60 you still have 40 years of working life ahead of you. That's twice as long working as you've been alive to date.

If you change jobs every 5 years that's 8 jobs you'll have.
  • If you stay a developer, there's a new OS every 18 months or so - so look forward to adjusting to another 27 OS updates PER computer type (Windows, Mac, Linux, MartianOS, whatever).
  • Some new language or technology rolls out regularly. For example from C to C++ to C# and sideways to Objective C, then F# and countless others. So probably 8 iterations of each language you learn, times the number of languages.
  • Then there are all the other technologies to learn line WPF, SQL, NODE.js, Angular.JS, countless API's and SDKs.

I could go on but won't. If you decide you're going to sit back and wait for some stable language that you can use for the rest of your career then I suggest you take up baking, because it ain't every going to happen. This is TECHNOLOGY dude: It changes faster that you can keep up with.

If you were to wait for the price of a TV to stabilize before you buy one so you won't regret it when you see the same size set cheaper in 6 months, you'd never buy a TV... or a computer... or a camera...

The same holds for coding technology. Its a moving target that you have to run with, not wait for. So suck it up, pick a direction and GO. Run with it. Then learn another and another and another.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 07 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +