5 Replies - 325 Views - Last Post: 16 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on getting a job?

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi, I finished college in may and I have been on the prowl looking for a job in my city. I have applied to many applications over the past couple of months(maybe 15 applications a month), but I have never received a call back or an interview. I believe it is because I don't have experience, but at the same time I know a lot of graphic designers don't have any experience and they are welcomed into a job. Another factor might be because of my website not being so captivating and incredible. I'm trying to make revisions so that it can appeal to people who visit my site (www.jermaineforbesdesign.com), but a part of me feels that is not the issue. A third factor might be because some job posts asks the applicant to be fluent in english and spanish, and I can only speak english. In any case, not getting a job is really stressing me out. I want to know if there is any advice to make myself more appealing to employers, or at least get an internship because I'm not having luck in that either. Could it possibly because of generic website? I am not sure, I hope somebody can give me some insight

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on getting a job?

#2 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on getting a job?

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

The best way to get any job is to keep applying for jobs.

Your graphics look really nice.

It may also it may be that no one in your city is hiring at the moment.

Things may look up for you in the New Year and I sincerely hope that they do.

Snoopy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

I appreciate the reply. Do you think I should just focus on trying to freelance? How long did take you to land a job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Have you tried local headhunters? They can find jobs that are not publicly available and send you in. It does not guarantee employment, but tends to get you face time with employers that are wanting someone. Also, have you contacted your school? several of them have departments that help with employment or an internship may be another route to take to get the experience you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

Yes recruitment agencies are a great start ,

they often have temporary positions available with a view to full time employment can be tricky to negotiate but well worth investigating.

Snoopy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

@snoopy11

Thanks for the tip, I will look into recruitment agencies in my area and see if they can help me out.

@astonecipher

I don't know what a local headhunter is, but if that is the same thing as an recruitment agency then I am going to look into it. I appreciate the reply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1