In need of a license and there's so many out there

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1204 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Software License Help

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:47 AM

Cutting to the chase (as is usual with me) I'm in need of a license for a piece of software I'm writing. What I would like to have is a license that allows me to give out the source code for educational purposes, but the people I give it to are not allowed to release a modified version (to public domain) and they're allowed to redistribute the software as is, as long as I get credit and they don't charge a fee.

To give a little reasoning, I have been working on a software project for my anime club for the past few weeks that, in a sense is a mock database using an XML file to store the data (most of you have probably seen me asking various questions around the VB.NET forum when I got hung on certain things). I'm eventually going to release this for free to other clubs that wish to use it (with or without source code I haven't decided). The thing is, after showing this program to some of the people in the VB.NET class that I tutor, many of them are interested in seeing how it works, so I would like to release it to them to review the code and play around with basically, but not for them to be able to sell it (which, I worry that some of them would try to do).

So, short version is, does anyone know of a license that would allow for these things? I've been digging through Google for quite some time, but most of the licenses that I've seen do not allow for these provisions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software License Help

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software License Help

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

Perhaps the Creative Commons can help?
http://creativecommons.org/license/

Choose "No" for "Allow commercial uses of your work?"
Choose "No" for "Allow modifications of your work?"

Hope that satisfies your conditions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software License Help

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

Thank you so much, that was exactly what I was in need of! I saw mention of this license in a few places, but hadn't thought to look into in much, I will admit I'm fairly new to the different software licenses so just pouring over pages of "legal-ese" trying to figure out which ones did what was giving me a headache and I was primarily having trouble finding places that spelled it out in plain english like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1