3 Replies - 224 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hackathon Help

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

I'm a Computer Science student in her third year (about to begin my first semester) and I want to do hackathons. I've been programming since I was about 9 and my school has enough resources and what not concerning actually participating, so I asked some of my professors and students that do it and they told me to just keep doing it...

It's not that I think that's bad advice, but they told me it was just challenges and you do it like a game and it gets easier. I tried one that my uni hosted and I just.. didn't get what was going on. They told us to build a software that connected something to social networking or something like that and I didn't understand a few things:

1) Are there specific languages I'd have to use?
2) Do I absolutely need a team?
3) Is it just like.. they say "build this software" and you fill in the rest of the blanks?

I really want to get into hackathons because I think it will look good on my resume for cyber security and because I really want to do something with my coding knowledge.

I already make games on the side and make small bits of software and cheating stuff for homework (like programs that do the calculus equations so I know if I'm right or not b/c some of the solutions aren't in the back and the tests can be quite unforgiving if you don't practice.

I know LOTS of languages so that's not the problem .

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hackathon Help

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hackathon Help

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

1) Are there specific languages I'd have to use?

Depends on the Hackathon.

2) Do I absolutely need a team?

No, but networking is one of the reasons to attend Hackathons. So being the lone coder and not interacting with other folks really misses out on one of the points of going.

3) Is it just like.. they say "build this software" and you fill in the rest of the blanks?

You get an open-ended topic and run with it. This isn't a classroom where you have a check sheet of features.

It's not that I think that's bad advice, but they told me it was just challenges and you do it like a game and it gets easier.

It is like a game. You go and prototype a creative solution to some problem or open-ended challenge given. At the end of the hackathon, everyone compares their solutions.

I really want to get into hackathons because I think it will look good on my resume for cyber security and because I really want to do something with my coding knowledge.

So get into them... I don't really see the issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Mm... I thought I was over thinking it.. just wasn't sure.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

Not sure if a hackathon is generally for cyber security. Don't get that misconception of the word "hack". Depending on the hackathon, cyber security isn't usually a main topic. The current hackathon topic trends are usually helping people with disabilities or aiding a health problem.
Recently attended UCLA Local Hack Day this past weekend and it was pretty much make whatever you want. Point is to meet new people and mentor each other. I partnered up with a freshman there and babied him through creating an iOS app that scraped UCLA's restauraunt web pages and pulled the information into the app to display.

As for your questions:

1) No. Use whatever you want to get the job done, unless the hackathon has requirements.
2) No. You can hack by yourself but the main point of a hackathon is to meet new people, mentor other people, and learn from other people.
3) Sometimes they will have topics you need to focus on, but generally you go in with an idea and brainstorm with other people new ideas if you decide to team up.

This post has been edited by lilVaratep: 08 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1