5 Replies - 1163 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hiring Graphic Designers/Front End Person

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

So. I had an idea for a website/application. I thought about it, designed and implemented it in C# .NET MVC. It's all working as I would like it to etc. No problem there.

However, it's ugly as hell. The "M" and the "C" may be professional but the "V" looks like my four year old did it with paint...with her eyes shut.

So, it looks like if I wan't to launch this/do it properly I am going to have to get someone to do the front end.

Basically I am looking to find out
A)Can you hire someone to "Colour in your outline" as it where? Would a "professional" developer be prepared to do such a thing?
B)Would I still have to pay a comparable rate even though they wont be building the pages from scratch?
C)Any suggestions on the best way to go about this type of collaboration/employment? Just give them a copy of the View as an HTML page with some dummy data in it?
D)Anything else I should take into account when thinking about this?

Believe it or not I am professional .NET Developer I just don't have much experience working as part of a web development team. I have worked on Web applications with a front end design in place, with me just using existing CSS/Images etc. I have done WCF and Win forms development but I have just never been in a position where it's both my own personal project and looking for new materials for an existing system.

Thanks for the help and apologies to anyone I have upset by putting this in the wrong place/asking a silly question.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hiring Graphic Designers/Front End Person

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hiring Graphic Designers/Front End Person

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

98% of my designs are crap. I am a developer, not an artist and know that. Professionally, I work with a designer and freelance I would hire someone to handle that aspect for me.

Price points vary, but if they do the HTML for you it could cost more or you could give them an idea of what you are after and have them send you a picture, normally psd files, that you slice and use on your own.

You want an actual web designer, although any media designer can do it.

PM me if you need contact info for someone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

You've just encountered the difference between a Web Developer and Web Designer. I don't know standard rates but I would expect to pay a designer their standard rate to build the design. Even if it's just you handing them what you have with some dummy data and asking them to dress it up - what you're paying for isn't their coding experience or aptitude with HTML - what you're buying is more like art. So you won't be able to skimp on paying based on what you've already done - think of how offended you'd be if the reverse were the case. "Hey I have this great design, I've already written the model and view and have some definitions for the controller, can I pay you 1/3rd your normal rate to do just the controller?"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

Moved to Post a Job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

The OP was asking about where to go, how much to charge, etc. It is probably better in 'Freelancing'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

My mistake! Sorry for the confusion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -