2 Replies - 261 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

Has Apple declined since Jobs passed?

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:55 AM

Is it just me or has the quality of Apple declined since Jobs passed. I had a 2006 macbook pro right up until 3 months ago. Now, I've upgraded to 10.7 and then 10.10 shortly thereafter. 10.7 had more bugs in it than 10.6 and 10.10 has even more bugs in it then 10.7. Is this because Jobs is no longer around or not?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Has Apple declined since Jobs passed?

#2 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Re: Has Apple declined since Jobs passed?

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

Doubtful. Jobs role wasn't quality control. There may have been a shift that lead to a reduction in QC, but it shouldn't be significant. And Macs have always been buggy. Software without defects is like water without fish. Something is probably wrong that you don't see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Has Apple declined since Jobs passed?

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

I would argue that it could be related, but isn't necessarily related. Correlation doesn't imply causation and all that.

The best thing Jobs did for the company (as far as I can tell) was focus them. He gave blunt answers and direction on the features they would and would not invest in getting added to their products. This allowed them to focus on those and disregard everything else. Now, this doesn't necessarily sound like a good thing, but it really does help.

How many of us have side projects we are working on? Of those side projects, how many of them do you actually complete before finding a new shiny to chase?

If you apply that to the larger scale of a company without having someone there to focus you on a specific task, it is very possible that you will wander off into the woods, or have your project changed out from under you requiring you to come up to speed on something completely different than you were just working on. This in turn causes issues as you have to ( A ) be trained on the new project, and ( B ) transfer of information isn't flawless. In all that can easily lead to some problems that one developer thought obvious never actually getting to the top of the list (or added to the list in the first place).

And it isn't like this doesn't happen in the real world. I just lost a co-developer for 3 months to a different boxcar. That means that I am the primary developer (out of 1.5 allocated other people) for the boxcar. I don't know the components that the other developer was working in, which is going to slow down my development (specifically in those areas) and overall probably lead to bugs that wouldn't have originally been in the code base if we had been able to keep the team together for the entire boxcar. Now, based off of current allocations, he will be returning to this boxcar after his 3 months are up, but that's going to require him to context switch again and get back up to speed with 3 months of changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1