Which 3d Engine to use.

Not sure where to start.

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 5539 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2009 - 09:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which 3d Engine to use.

Post icon  Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

I want to expand my studies and do some 3D modeling with my C++ knowledge. I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this but everyone seems to be talking about this topic in this board so what the heck.

Anyways, I did some researched and found a few expensive software to do some 3D game/software programming. What I want to do is, get one that will work for me and I could keep using for a long time. The thing is, there is a lot of different ways of using these kind of program so might as well with stick to one. So I'm asking for any user opinions for any recommendations or anything.

Here are the current choices I had in mind
3dGameStudio (thanks to a user in this board)
Quest3d (Looks really neat)
3dsMax (Expensive but might be worth it)
Maya

Those are the current ones in my list, Im thinking of getting either Quest3d or 3DsGameStudio.

What I want is to make simple project such as little games to improve and sharpen my skills, over time I will move on bigger projects for now I'll stick to this.

Thanks for any support :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which 3d Engine to use.

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which 3d Engine to use.

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

Well watch it, some of those choices you have are 3d modelers and some are engines. There is a difference. The engine uses the models. 3dsmax makes 3d model graphics, an engine like Torque would then take the models and put them in a game environment and apply environmental rules.

Some good starter 3D game makers/engines would be...

1) Torque - http://www.garagegam...om/beginner.php
2) 3D Game Studio is pretty good as well - http://www.3dgamestudio.com/
3) DX Studio - http://www.dxstudio.com/
4) OGRE 3D (opensource library for C++) - http://www.ogre3d.org/
5) Realm Crafter (they have a trial version to play with) - http://www.realmcraf...n.php?info_id=6

There are plenty more but some of these are the better ones out there. Of course you could also make games using 3D stuff in OpenGL and DirectX as well. They are libraries and not engines, but you can build some of your basic stuff with these and they can go with you all the way into more advanced games.

Hopefully this clears a few things up. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 01 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

For example, there are MAYA plugins for making models in MAYA and using them in 3DGS. Personally I would use 3DGS for it's ease of use in the beginning and advanced features you can use later when you become well versed in C++. Acknex is the engine used in 3DGS.

If you need a kickass free modeling program, I would recommend Blender, and get some 3DGS plug ins for MED to convert the blender models (MED isdefault modeling program for Acknex). I haven't seen a better level creator than WED so far, so a combination of tools are at your disposal with varying power and ease of uses and long time usage.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 01 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Martyr2 like always your are very helpful :) and thanks WolfCoder too.

I think I got a better understand of the modeling and using them with 3d engines after reading those replies, so here are my plans. Ofcourse this is a big subject to learn and is time consuming so I plan on taking it one step at a time.
I am going to purchase the following big (did some internal research on this book as well, some friends recommend it and previous teacher also recommend it)
Posted Image
3D Game Programming All in One, Second Edition - Available on amazon.com

As for as which software I am required to use I am not fully sure the differences of them. I know torque is something used to use the modeled files and put them into programming use but what about the others such as GameStudio or DX studio, are they for modelling or the engine itself?
I guess I could find answers by reading more in their websites if I stop procrastinating :).

Thanks again guys. It seems I have a long way to go :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:04 AM

View Post_net, on 1 Nov, 2007 - 11:06 AM, said:

I want to expand my studies and do some 3D modeling with my C++ knowledge. I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss this but everyone seems to be talking about this topic in this board so what the heck.

Anyways, I did some researched and found a few expensive software to do some 3D game/software programming. What I want to do is, get one that will work for me and I could keep using for a long time. The thing is, there is a lot of different ways of using these kind of program so might as well with stick to one. So I'm asking for any user opinions for any recommendations or anything.

Here are the current choices I had in mind
3dGameStudio (thanks to a user in this board)
Quest3d (Looks really neat)
3dsMax (Expensive but might be worth it)
Maya

Those are the current ones in my list, Im thinking of getting either Quest3d or 3DsGameStudio.

What I want is to make simple project such as little games to improve and sharpen my skills, over time I will move on bigger projects for now I'll stick to this.

Thanks for any support :)
:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_russlik*

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Nice RTTI and scripting implementation:

Linderdaum Engine http://www.linderdaum.com

also supports some modern features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

try leadwerks engine www.leadwerks.com
it is great for only $120 and it comes with some neat shader abilities and other tools to use. Check out the tutorials on the website and see what you think. It uses OpenGL so if you know what you are doing, you may be able to create games for mac and linux systems ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

My advice, don't purchase anything except for books. There are plenty of free tools/engines you can learn with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1