1 Replies - 300 Views - Last Post: 15 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you plan?

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

In pretty much everything I have done so far since learning to code, be it HTML, PHP, C++, whatever, I have gone in headfirst and started writing. I know this is not the best way to do it (in fact, I think it's the worst. Far too many times have I worked ages on a bit of code, decided I wanted something extra, and had to write the whole thing again), and that it is better to plan out a strategy first.

I understand everyone probably has different strategies for planning a programme or website, whatever works for you, but I have no idea how to do it. My 'plans' often evolve into me just writing code anyway. So, any tips on what to do before putting finger to key?

EDIT: And yes, this is a very broad question and will probably have different answers depending on what you want do, but anything that can stop me from inevitabley rewriting code over and over due to lack of forward thinking will help.

This post has been edited by Atharron: 15 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you plan?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you plan?

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Read up on software design.
Read up on software architecture.
See how requirements gathering is crucial to a cohesive process and delivery date.
See how helpful it is when you have a roadmap on where to you need to pick up work, what is dependent on what, and the time savings.
Have your pay check be dependent on having a fairly decent ballpark number on hours, the need for deliverable dates, and completing the customer's vision.

Software design books
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1