3 Replies - 207 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Questions about a CS degree

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

So, I've actually been programming for about 10 years now. I've taught myself all I know, and I am actually a very talented programmer.. But, alas, I was recently laid off from my job, and since most employers in the world require some sort of degree in computer science, I have decided to try my hand at going to college for the first time. But, I have some questions...

You see, I'm trying to get the degree as fast as I possibly can.. The problem is that I haven't ever taken any prerequisite courses.. I have a child, and plan on finding another job in the near future, so I would like to take my courses 100% online. I'm not worried about having a teacher over my shoulder, as most of my courses will honestly be an "easy A", and I already know how to think like a programmer, etc...

I'd like to end up with a bachelors degree that will enable me to get a job in the computer programming industry. Whether it be business applications, or video game programming.. Is CS the right degree for that? Upon looking through about 100 different schools and all of their CS-related programs, it gets really confusing as to which program I should take. Not to mention, if I don't have the prerequisite courses, if I can even take them in the first place..

I guess my main question is, is there anyone on this site who has completed a bachelors degree in CS, in it's entirety, prerequisite courses and everything, completely online? Is there a school that offers this type of service? Please, by the grace of god, if there is, direct me to it, because this whole "going to college" thing has turned out to be pretty confusing and I've only been pursuing it for about an hour now lol.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questions about a CS degree

• Dishonored
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Questions about a CS degree

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

Go over to SJRCC and talk to them... MOST of their courses can be done online and if you shuffle it right you can make it pretty quickly. It is also cheaper than a straight online school. I think you are more after the degree itself then the debt you will be gaining because of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, the debt is definitely something I can do without lol. SJRCC is pretty close to here actually.. I'll see what they have to offer as far as CS programs. Hopefully they can hook me up with at least a good start lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

I would be shocked if you couldn't get out of Intro to Programming. If someone says no, find someone else to talk to. If you are comfortable with basic data structures like the linked list, stack, queue, binary tree, and hashtable, you could probably get out of a first semester data structures class as well.

A Bachelor's Degree in CS has three categories of general requirements: data structures, operating systems and architecture, and math. I think you'll probably be fine in the first category; and if you like data structures, hopefully the math will come fairly easy. Regarding operating systems, you take 2-3 semesters of this. The first semester is an intro to computer organization class. The second semester hits more on assembly programming and writing an assembler. The third gets into a lot of lower-level OS concepts, such as writing your own shell implementation. I'm not sure how comfortable you are on this side. This might be pretty easy for you, but the operating systems course is the big CS hurdle course.

You can probably knock out Intro to Programming, Data Structures I, Comp Org I, Discrete Math, Calculus, and Linear Algebra at community college. That will account for half a degree, aside from some general eds. You could also probably CLEP out of things like English and save quite a bit of money.

Hope this helps some!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1