10 Replies - 1205 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

• Paranormal Investigator
  • member icon

• View blog

Running My Laptop With It Plugged In All The Time?

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

I have a Lenovo Y50-70. It was a mistake to go with Lenovo. I won't go into detail about what happened, but their repair service was not so good. I got my laptop back after what I thought was a fried motherboard, but it was just the hard drive. They wanted to charge me $260 to fix tiny cracks near the back plate screws. I fixed it myself using plastic cement. I had a fan going so the fumes did not coat anything. I did spill some down the laptop, but I cleaned most of it up. It's only a cosmetic issue now. The laptop still works great.

Now to my main question. I use my laptop on high performance mode all day, so I like to keep it plugged in. I do not want to remove the battery since the cracks are near the screws and I don't know if the screws will come out since I used the plastic cement. Is it fine to run it off AC power all day since I can't remove the battery? I have it set to a mode where it charges it up to around 60%, waits for it to fall to below 55%, and then charges it again. This way I do not charge the battery to 100% and degrade it further. Is it fine to do this since the battery is staying near 60% all the time? I'll be fine if it only lasts about two years since I want to get a laptop from a better manufacturer.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Running My Laptop With It Plugged In All The Time?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Running My Laptop With It Plugged In All The Time?

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Batteries will degrade over time from usage. Using it while plugged in will still kill it, but really power is power. It sounds like more damage has been done than worrying about battery life at this point.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Is the battery hot? If so remove it.. if not it should be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

The battery isn't really hot, it's just warm. It might not be the battery though. It could just be from the CPU. I would think that charging it to 60%, waiting for it to drop 5%, then charging it again would not make it heat up as much as continuously charging it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thank you for the help though. I just don't know a lot about laptops since I mainly use a desktop computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

I've had my HP laptop plugged in for a couple of years now. It get used for a few hours each day. So far so good.

Modern batteries tend to do better when topped up. Heat isn't really the batteries' fault; the CPU is your internal cooker. If you feel things are too warm, you can set then entire laptop on a cooling pad and see if that makes it happy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

using battery while plugged in to the charger without the need of charging is wrong !, if you wont use the battery then unplug it and use the charger cable as a electricity source i always do this also keeping the battery plugged in may cause the laptop to overheat so use the battery while you aren't in home,office or any other place that you will not move with the laptop
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostTheCoolFactor, on 14 February 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

using battery while plugged in to the charger

I can't think of any hardware that actually lets you do this. If the laptop is plugged in, you're not using the battery.

A "only use the battery while trying to charge the battery and plugged into an outlet" option would be kind of daft.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

My understanding it charges to 100%, drops to 99%, recharges, drops, recharges. At least that's the way things were a few years ago.

& yes, the power circuit is a logic gate (or whatever it's called), but the battery does degrade even if never 'used' & both are plugged in.

Though hardware is constantly improving it's technology, & nothing is as bad as it used to be. All my equipment is a few years old, so... take all of this with grains of salt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 14 February 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

View PostTheCoolFactor, on 14 February 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

using battery while plugged in to the charger

I can't think of any hardware that actually lets you do this. If the laptop is plugged in, you're not using the battery.

A "only use the battery while trying to charge the battery and plugged into an outlet" option would be kind of daft.

i have a hp laptop and it shows: (100% charged, charging) and sometimes (99% charged, not charging) its kinda weird
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

In Windows 8 you can get a detailed Battery Report from the command prompt using:

powercfg /batteryreport

It includes Battery life estimates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1