• +
  • Last »

104 Replies - 8727 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Windows 10 - Tech Preview

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

So... Who's trying it out and in what capacities? What have you run across so far?

I've got it running in a VMware virtual machine with 2 cores and 4gig RAM assigned. So far seems rather snappy and hasn't squawked about not finding drivers.

This is totally subjective, but it seems to hit Windows online update server faster and without the long delay before finding updates. Maybe that's just because other OSes have a bunch to compare and Win10 doesn't.

If you haven't read, there is an attempt to bring something more closely resembling the start menu back. It doesn't yet have the Control Panels in it but does have the PC Settings. It seems to me that these two collections of settings/configurations/control panels are still not unified. Also you can't right-click|Configure the Win10 Start menu because right-click brings up the expert menu that Win8 shows if you type Win-X

I'm able to successfully remote debug to it using Visual Studio 2013update4.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows 10 - Tech Preview

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 10 - Tech Preview

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

Yup I've been using it on Virtualbox and was impressed at some of the minimal specs needed to run it.. that and the free upgrade from 7 and 8 to 10 is a nice perk. I'll definitely be switching over to it when released.

The UI is pretty snappy too, and I haven't encountered any major issues.

I do like the UI overhaul (and lord knows there are people to bring back a full win7 look at release), and the live tile integration on the start menu is pretty snazzy.

I've been poking at a windows mobile app inside vs2013 in the VM.. no issues there except that VMs don't like emulators running inside of them. It must be like opening a bag of holding inside another bag of holding. Poof! Reality cracks!

I haven't thrown in for win10 TP on my phone yet.. but that maybe coming.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

I keep meaning to download it so I can try a copy. I checked it out a few months ago and really liked what I was seeing - the metro/start button mashup is so much better than the Windows 8 metro screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Free upgrade from 7 and 8? I didn't know about that.
<Hitting Google>

Okay, the ability to just migrate from 7/8 to 10 automatically through Microsoft update sounds like a winner and a way to get even the lazy on board. Like it or not, it sounds like 10 won't take long to become the predominant flavor of Windows. So for those of us making a living developing for Windows, it sounds like being Win10 friendly and robust is going to be a requirement very quickly.

<more reading and googling>
Okay, it is really sounding like Win8 is going to be the 'skipped' version just like Vista was; where lots of developers just ignored it and waited for the next OS release. {Like all the odd numbered Star Trek movies}

Oh, and this is nice for us early adopters:

In fact wider adoption could start sooner. Microsoft has also confirmed all Technical Previews of Windows 10 will automatically upgrade to the full consumer release version without any loss of data.

Businesses on the other hand aren't so lucky:

Microsoft revealed during its January 21st Windows 10 event that customers currently running Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge once the operating system is released. But not all current Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 owners will be entitled to free upgrades, as it turns out, and Microsoft explained why in a recent blog post.

FROM EARLIER: Awesome news: Windows 10 will be completely free for Windows 8 and Windows 7 users

The company offered more details about Windows 10 for Enterprise, saying that these types of accounts will not be entitled to free upgrades like personal and small business customers.

“Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise are not included in the terms of free Windows 10 Upgrade offer we announced last week,

Well... My wife's laptop is at a crawl thanks to lots of fraking with it through every add-on and themeing utility on the planet. Since I need to nuke it and start over (an annual event), I guess I'll just put her straight onto 10 since it will update from Tech Preview to full consumer release through MS update.

Hmmm... I have two internal hard drives in my laptop. Maybe I'll install 10 on the second one and try hitting it harder as a full-time PC and not just a VM for remote debugging. Worst case is I go back to booting on the 8.1 drive if there is a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Win8 was okay.. the tile/metro screen was a little jarring, but I hadn't had problems with it. Over reach on a version, then scale back on the subsequent version..

I have a few family members on the docket to get a new solid state drive and win10 when it hits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

I never use the tile/metro side of Win8.1 - NEVER. I use 3 products from Stardock.com:
  • Start8 to give me back a proper start button
  • ModernMix: To open Metro apps as a windowed app from the desktop
  • Fences: To organize my desktop.

They tame Win8's split-personality disorder. Once you turn Win8 back into a desktop operating system its not as bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

*shrug* I never had that strong of a reaction. Anymore I just hit the start key and begin typing the app name.. so it was the same with windows 8. Though I didn't mind the live tiles scrolling pertinent data and found myself hitting the windows key to scan updated info.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 February 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

*shrug* I never had that strong of a reaction. Anymore I just hit the start key and begin typing the app name.. so it was the same with windows 8.

I do this as well, and go an extra step to add shortcuts to apps on the Desktop. So, in effect, I am doing my best to ignore the Metro stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

I think Metro is a cool idea.

Idea.

The implementation sucked. I think with the hololense integrated, we'll see a lot of new GUI stuff where the idea can be better applied. I've been waiting excitedly for gesture recognition to come into its own - Underkoffler's TED Talk about UI was awesome and exciting. Pair that with the ability to project in 3D to the user and entire new methods of interaction become apparent. The delineation between desktop space and menu space is suddenly more relevant in a 3D environment. Even the difference between an "app" and an application is more relevant in this context.

So 10 looks rather exciting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Nice.

Upgrade here I come...

Will wait for official release though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I've loaded it on a couple of VM's one of those to see if a couple legacy apps had any basic problems. I'm considering loading it on my laptop. I think with the new start button they finally got "metro" right, and had they done this in windows 8 originally or at least left the start button there would have likely been a lot less immediate aversion to the metro screen. Cortana coming to desktop is pretty neat, although I really want to see it voice activated both on desktop and phone. Resource wise it seems quite impressive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

I have it loaded on a box, but it is more for testing purposes than anything else at this point. I don't have anything I have found that really needs to be installed as far as app's go. I have the disk handy if I need to change over the main OS. Although, I am running Windows 7 Pro on my laptop and work workstations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

I've taken the plunge this weekend. Pulled the 8.1 boot drive from my laptop and building a new HDD+SSD hybrid drive as Win10 from the ground up. Worst case is I can put the 8.1 drive back in if something catastrophic happens. I was wanting to downgrade my MS office from x64 to x86 anyway because nothing talks to Officex64. IE: Quicken can't sync with it and so on.

Going to do the same with my wife's horribly fracked up laptop: Its going OSX WinX Win10 as well, from scratch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

Pushing Win10 as the main OS in two systems? Seems like you're asking for trouble to me considering this is just a tech preview and isn't even at consumer preview level yet. From a few other forums I visit there are still a load of bugs that they are ironing out and battery life seems to have taken a tanking in the latest builds.

That being said I've been running it in a VM for a while now and I'm really liking the way they are going. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done - particularly in the unification area and icons (I really don't like the new ones at the moment). There have been a few screenshots of where it could be heading and if they make it there it should be a happy upgrade for me.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 08 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Yep. I kept the win8 drive in my laptop as well as the win10 drive, so I can dual back back to win8 if I need to. But if I don't push the Win10 loads I'll never really know what they can and can't do. Since my clients look to me to guide them I really do need to know and be able to advise. And I need the app I'm current developing to transition to 10 correctly. I know they aren't doing anything about Win10 - which means they aren't stopping their users either. At some point some of them are going to do the Microsoft Update and have Win10 automatically pushed to their machine. It will happen. So I want my software to be robust and handle it even if they limited IT staff aren't.

So far my primary Visual Studio machine has only encountered one problem: I have a 3rd monitor on a Siig USB->HDMI adapter and the driver doesn't seem to work in Win10.
Update: Even the USB->HDMI adapter works. Just not with the default drivers Win10 downloaded at installation. I uninstalled the device (include remove drivers) then ran the Win8 driver installer from Siig then rebooted. Works like a charm now.

The Win10 start button may be less bad than the Win8 one, but I still prefer using Stardock's Start8 app to completely replace it with a Win7 start menu. I like customizing it so control panels opens as a menu, and games don't list at all etc.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 08 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »