Landing a job in web development although...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 3622 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Landing a job in web development although...

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

I am looking for some advice here. I followed my dreams and became a game programmer... although I have been finding out recently that game programmers don't get hired for web development or SQL programming jobs. I do have some knowledge in these fields, mainly from studying things like ASP.net and SQL on my own. My biggest problem is that I can not move from the area I am in to a place where game companies exist to get a job. On top of this the area I live in mainly offers web development jobs. So my question is this... How can I focus what I already know about programming to catch the eye of an employer who needs someone for web development. Is it even possible? I am so frustrated... Not to sound like an ass but I feel as if SQL development is child's play compared to 3D game programming, ASM development and game engine design. Maybe someone could help me see the light here. I appreciate any feed on this subject.

For some reason I can include my resume.

This post has been edited by Toadill: 04 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Landing a job in web development although...

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Landing a job in web development although...

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

Not to sound like an ass but I feel as if SQL development is child's play compared to 3D game programming,

Data management isn't simple on big problems or in a business environment. Different set of issues, problems, etc.

How can I focus what I already know about programming to catch the eye of an employer who needs someone for web development.

Make sites.. have a portfolio.. show you can operate in a web design world.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

Could you elaborate a little more on the companies bigger issues? I have no experience working within a company environment. Is there a specific tutorial on building sites for companies or a site loaded with information on this subject?
Thanks

This does seem reasonably like a good idea, thanks.

This post has been edited by Toadill: 04 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:30 AM

POPULAR

I heard an interesting statistic the other day. 378 million tweets PER HOUR during the superbowl. Now picture the backend for being able to handle that. Its not a single PC like a game is. Its not a single server farm. Its not even a massive multiplayer. That's every citizen of the USA participating at the same time.

Another example:
Last year while doing some work for an unnamed radio conglomerate & satellite radio provider... I came to learn how they have to coordinate multiple locations, plus multiple disaster recover sites to stay synchronized in near-real-time. We're talking about 800+ satellite stations plus thousands of web based virtual stations that make up things like "I Heart Radio" plus thousands of on the ground radio broadcasters. Effectively a few thousand songs streaming simultaneously. If a site in one city goes down then the site in another picks up with barely a glitch in the stream. Compound this with data for things like commercial advertiser billing: If John's plumbing doesn't pay their bill, their ads get cut automatically so that data has to propagate to all the sites in near-real-time. Plus weather data... plus traffic reports... Its a HUGE quantity of data that moves to countless data repositories and then down to how many thousand actual radio stations with transmitters on the ground as well as the

I'm sure the same has to happen for every other large system from Amazon to State Farm Insurance to FedEx.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Could you elaborate a little more on the companies bigger issues? I have no experience working within a company environment.

Then how are you making 3d games? By yourself?

Data is typically a pretty bare metal necessity of a company. Tracking inventory, payroll, etc with a crazy need for accuracy, redundancy, and aggregation. I am certain you can find blog posts that resonate with you when searching around for data needs and businesses.

Is there a specific tutorial on building sites for companies or a site loaded with information on this subject?

Is every game the same? Why would business needs be the same with Joe the Erector Company or Tammy's Travel Agency?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Yes I am building games in my spare time, although it doesn't seem realistic at the moment. I really do appreciate the insight. I guess I still have a lot to learn. :butbut:
On a positive note, I have purchased books on AJax, WPF, ASP.net, Javascript, Silverlight and a few others to get started in moving toward my goal. :wink:
I guess my biggest problem is knowing where to start. :eek:

I guess the difference between PHP and ASP.net is much like the difference between using openGL or DirectX, Does this sound correct? I realize ASP is Windows oriented. Would you say that PHP would be the better choice?

This post has been edited by Toadill: 04 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

This bears further inspection.

Yes I am building games in my spare time, a

I followed my dreams and became a game programmer

You are not in a game developer job then? Are you working with a studio, or what exactly? Part time in compared to what?

I guess my biggest problem is knowing where to start.

Typically that involves having a more directed inquiry than "I want to build web pages". You've been around here for a while and know that song and dance folk come with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostToadill, on 04 February 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

Yes I am building games in my spare time

This comment negates any expectations of how easy you think development is in any other platform.

A.) You will get a lot of emails from recruiters regardless of what field it is in. I don't have a mention of ASP or Java on my resume, & I constantly get notifications about openings. Does it mean that they are even considering me? Probably not. My resume for whatever reason landed in an inbox & queue & got an email response. As such, best they can hope for is another opportunity they are hiring for that I am potentially a qualified candidate, or I have a friend in the field that they can reach out to.

B.) I've never heard of any one being 'stuck' in the game development field, & wanting to move into web development. What I do hear is a TON of people in web development, hoping that someday they will be able to excel into game development. Something isn't adding up here.

View PostToadill, on 04 February 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

I guess I still have a lot to learn.

It's very seldom that any technology scales laterally. Just because you know foo, doesn't mean you are grandfathered in to know bar.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

@modi123_1 I have been working on a game idea for awhile solo and have created parts of it thus far, but have run into money problems recently. This has forced me to spend more time making money just to stay afloat, mainly in computer repair. I have not given up on it though nor do I plan to ever. Even if it takes me ten years to build a game, it's what I love to do. I live in PA near Harrisburg which really limits my ability to get a job at any gaming company without at least 4 hours of travel time. I had planned to move to Cali but it seems I am stuck here due to family situations.

As far as experience in building web pages I have used ASP.net and Microsoft Web Builder to learn something about web programming. I had studied HTML a long time ago and use to build them within a text document lol. So I am familiar with markup language. A lot has changed since then.

@no2Pencil Yes I realize recruiters are just touching base with people to see what they know.
As far as being stuck it's due to the state that I live in and not just the state but the area as well.
foo as in porting lol?

This post has been edited by Toadill: 04 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Just a warning - stop editing your posts after someone posts to add responses. It's confusing and jumbles up the flow of conversation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

All I added was another question lol.

Here is my resume and background

LinkedIn

www.linkedin.com/pub/james-leshko/56/4aa/7b/en

This post has been edited by Toadill: 04 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

Okay, I'm confused. So you are saying that game development is harder than web development, maybe, but YOU don't actually have experience in either? So, where is your information coming from? From what you posted, you don't have professional experience in either, so don't point out what is what in area's you don't actually know or understand the inner workings of.

Do you have a degree? Do you have a portfolio? All things that have been listed countless times here. You have to have a good grasp on concept and usage to be a developer on any platform. ASM is not going to help you in Web or desktop development. Do you want to do front-end, back-end, or databases? You need a solid understanding of of the languages used in that area before you can be a viable candidate.

If you want to focus on Windows Web, ASP will get you part way there... What about C#? VB? Those are important too. You can likely toss the Silverlight. You may find legacy, but it is not something that was used too much.

Boil it down to what you want out of it. You seem to want to do whatever makes you a buck at this point. And Professional development is different than hobby dev. You are on there timeline, and will be doing things their way, regardless of what you think you know.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

mod: you don't really need to quote the giant post right above this.

I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science and I have developed games for many different platforms. I know ASP.net and CSS and I know you can either code in VB or C#. I started coding in VB6.0 when I was 15. Both of these languages use controls, which make creating anything a snap. You can look at my profile to see what I know and all the books I've read and I have just posted my LinkedIn account minutes ago as well.
I have just never focused on web development. The reason I suggested that 3D game programming is harder is because it requires Calculus, Trig, and Algebra. I have no doubts that I can learn web programming, without a problem. Where some may struggle with game programming. All I meant to say was that it should not be hard for a game programmer to catch on to web development.

My game projects

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 04 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

I have no doubts that I can learn web programming, without a problem.

Then.. what's preventing you from doing that? It seems like you have a plan. I guess I am lost on where the thread is going.

I know ASP.net and CSS

There's some web dev knowledge there.. have you applied it into something you can show an employer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

Yes I have built a web page which I have listed on my resume. Although I have never made it live I did everything in ASP.net using WAMP.
I guess the next step is to make a live web page to show my ability as you suggested. I appreciate the feed I really do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +