5 Replies - 909 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hope to get a job within the year

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:21 AM

I think I've almost got the skills necessary for employment in web design. I'm confident with HTML and CSS, and I can do the basics of PHP and SQL (though there's still more I could learn). I want to concentrate further on this subject with things like PEAR and XML, of which I have had some brief acquaintance. I also want to study Javascript and thus completing what I understand to be the minimum of what most employers would look for

In my current circumstances I still live with my dad and brother and once my debts are paid off, I have few financial obligations (besides giving my dad a couple hudred quid a month) so a change of career at this moment in my life would be relatively risk free. It's an ideal opportunity and one I want to take full advantage of. If I find an employer and feel I can stay in that job and have not been fired for being unable to do the job after a few months, then I think I shall be able to get my own place and begin getting my life back on track. I don't want to stay at home for any longer than another year, so I've got a time limit on this. I know I can do it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hope to get a job within the year

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hope to get a job within the year

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

Cool beans!

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

Look into web design more, I think you are missing the difference between what a web designer does, compared to a front-end developer and a back-end developer. You can be all of them, but if you want to speak with any kind of authority you need to know the difference. I am a full stack developer and do little if an design work.

And good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

I was using the phrase 'web design' as a catch all for everything I've been learning. Though from what I understand, a web designer (as a job title) designs the website, creates the layout and usability; while the front-end developer writes the stuff that shows how the site looks on the computer, presumably primarily using HTML and CSS; and a back-end developer creates the inner workings of it, the databases, the scripts etc. Never heard the term full stack, but from what you've said it seems like you do the job of both front and back end developer?

If this is the case, I'd be more interested in the writing of the code. Design isn't necessarily my forte, but I've managed to design a couple of decent looking sites and could get by with doing the lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

I am more interested in the backend side of things and handle the servers as well. Yes, I do the frontend and the backend work and have a designer that deals with the pretty and UX and I deal with the functionality and flows mostly.

It is fun and tiresome at the same time. The statement is more of an audience thing. If you refer to yourself as a Web Designer, it means you handle different tasking the the developer, usually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

I'm the sole developer at my job. I do front-end, back-end and the UX. I don't find the UX to difficult though as the pages/applications that interact with real users that I design are primarily internal so I can just walk up to some co-workers and ask them what they do/don't like about the thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1