10 Replies - 1872 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Training Site - I Would Like Some Feedback

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

I am putting together a new training site and would appreciate some feedback on the site.

It is a web development training site and the focus is on HTML, HTML5, CSS, CSS3, PHP, Adobe Flash.

I just put it on-line over the last few days and am working on getting the code cleaned up and everything functional.

I am open to any suggestions or comments. I had run a raining site in the past that was focused on Adobe Flash and many of my members had requested that I branch out into other areas. So late last year I decided that would be a good retirement hobby.

Thank you for any input, I plan to be a very active member of this site as you have a very good reputation and now I have the time where I can participate.

The site address is: www.ontargethtml5.com

Mike

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Training Site - I Would Like Some Feedback

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Training Site - I Would Like Some Feedback

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

You may want to think about getting your domain name's whois privacy settings turned on.
https://support.host...e-whois-privacy

It's pretty dark looking and not interesting to look at. From the gray background to the near black on black-gradient in the footer.

The forum transition is jarring. Is there anyway to make the forum style similar to the main site?

The menus seem to be missing any sort of visual indicator on what is 'active'... be it home, contact, privacy, about, etc.

The "on targethtml5" text in the top right changes size when going to any page from 'home'.

The visual style of the white/turquoise table does not flow with the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the quick response. The domain privacy was supposed to be turned on, I will check it again with the hosting company. Thank you for pointing it out.

I actually like the dark colors, they are so different from most sites. I think the contrast adds to the site, I will look at it again though because they should not be appearing black, I may need to go in and lighten them up a little. Do you have any suggestions on how I could add more interest to it. I had not really looked at it in that perspective and could use some suggestions. I was trying to keep it focuses on training with little distractions, I might have missed the mark.

The Forum bothers me also, I really need to find a more configurable forum package. I was trying to use phpBB but the templates were driving me crazy, everytime I would get something looking more like the site, it would break something else. I will look for a better forum package that I can configure.

Thanks for pointing out the menus, there is an active setting in the CSS. I had not noticed it wasn't working, I will go in and fix that.

I didn't notice the title either, thank you for pointing it out. I will check the CSS on that they should all be the same something must be overriding my setting on that page.

I will go in and change the visual indicators on the table, your right it needs to more closely match the site colors.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it, I really appreciate it.

Mike
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Do you have any suggestions on how I could add more interest to it.

I am not sure if I follow.

I actually like the dark colors, they are so different from most sites.

There's dark sites that do it well, and dark sites that do it poorly. In this case the whole site rubbed me the wrong way, and honestly I wouldn't be back again. So yes.. you should be concerned on presentation.

For some reason I get this whole "win95 theme" vibe off the colors and layout. Maybe the colors don't jive, or the layout is cluttered, but you can just google "best dark web theme" and get oodles of examples and inspiration.

Example:
http://www.webdesign...igns/style/dark
http://www.webdesign...ark-web-design/
http://sixrevisions....ns-inspiration/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thats for the candid feedback. I will do some more research and see what I can come up with.

I have never been that good with putting colors together, I am more of a coder than a designer. I will take your comments to heart and find some better matches for the colors.

Thanks you again, I appreciate the time you spent.

Mike
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Let's get this moved to the appropriate forum. Site Feedback is for providing feedback regarding DIC. I will move this to the Site Check forum, which is more what you're after.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

Thank you macosxnerd101, I did not realize it was in the wrong area.

I appreciate you moving it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Paranormal Investigator
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

The only problem for me is that it seems to be lacking contrast. I like the dark color, but the mix with eachother and make the page boring to look at. Besides that, it looks okay.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thank you I appreciate the comments.

I am looking at adding some additional contrast, because looking at it from different angles I believe that I do need to get some lighter colors involved in the overall layout.

Over the last couple of days I have been tweaking it, I added the security certificate and will be updating the Forums this weekend.

Mike
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

I have initiated the SSL for the site and based on feedback have reconstructed the Forums.

I do appreciate all the feed back it has been very helpful.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

The site has several security issues and is vulnerable to click jacking, there are over 56,000 html errors. Yes, fifty six THOUSAND. Worst case I have ever seen by far. Most of the errors are the same errors repeated thousands of times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1