9 Replies - 1242 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Comment System similar to facebook

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

On a project I am doing, I am making a website that is like facebook and I am stuck on how I should do my comment system.

I can show my messages and my posts by datalist but its very hard to interact with a datalist from what I was told by someone somewhere, my partner in this told me there is an HTML way but that is also hard he said and now I am at a bit of a toss as I don't know how I should proceed. I don't want to just make a datalist so it can be viewed just to change it later.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could or should go about making a comment system for my posts. AKA similar to facebook.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Comment System similar to facebook

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Comment System similar to facebook

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

its very hard to interact with a datalist from what I was told by someone somewhere,

Did this agent of mystery indicate *WHY* they thought it was hard to interact with a datalist?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yeah they said you had to go and find each control to do whatever you wanted it to do, that you couldn't just pick a control and have 1 thing coded in and have it work for them all. Something like that. I even tried it out and couldn't get it working, not that her or his instructions were all that clear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

That was super ambiguous and I am not sure what you were referring to with the terms "control" and "it". Typically, with ASP.NET, you would be playing with the data object that backs the GUI controls.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

Well Control was meaning the ASP control and the its I will explain for each one

The First It meant the control
The second It meant for the Code, For the Code to work for them all, Them all meaning the one control you picked that is repeated in the datalist.
The Third It meaning that I tried the explanation to my problem was at the time for my previous problem however it didn't work.
The Fourth It means the Code that I wanted to run under the explanation of the third it in context with the previous problem.

Does that clear it up

It meaning the previous post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

View Postathrun5, on 19 February 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

On a project I am doing, I am making a website that is like facebook and I am stuck on how I should do my comment system.

system?

my partner in this told me there is an HTML way but that is also hard

An html way?

Why not just make a 'comments' table? It could have columns like : id, user id, date, post id, & comment. Then you can select * from comments where post id = currently viewed post, sort by date.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

@ath - M'kay.. well with that reply I think I just cross that threshold and will tap out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 19 February 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

system?

my partner in this told me there is an HTML way but that is also hard

An html way?

Why not just make a 'comments' table? It could have columns like : id, user id, date, post id, & comment. Then you can select * from comments where post id = currently viewed post, sort by date.

The problem with that is that I need to add the asp controls to the datalist which needs back code or jquery to save them to the database but if I can't get the datalist to run the code behind or to the jquery (which I am not to familiar with) in order to save it to the database then its pointless. I haven't tried the jquery idea I just thought of but I kinda get the feeling it will end in the same result but its always possible that it will work as I know that jquery and C# are completely different.

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 February 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

@ath - M'kay.. well with that reply I think I just cross that threshold and will tap out.

Sorry if I offended you, people keep telling me to be clear and detailed as I am not always. That was my attempt at that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

My apologies, as maybe it's an ASP thing, but that's how I did something similar in PHP & that's why I used it as my suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 19 February 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

My apologies, as maybe it's an ASP thing, but that's how I did something similar in PHP & that's why I used it as my suggestion.

No problem I think I can do this with jquery maybe so I am going to give that a try unless others got any ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1