4 Replies - 10306 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2016 - 12:28 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

How To Post In the Python Forum

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

POPULAR

Welcome to the python forum. Here are some rules. Follow them, if you want your post to be welcomed with the good and helpful comments it no doubt deserves.

• Use the [code] tags. Easiest way to do this is to select the code you're posting and press the [code] button in the editor toolbar. This makes your code readable, so it's very important.
  • Format your code properly. When in doubt, follow PEP-8 conventions. Particularly important: use 4 spaces for indentation (never tabs) and use consistent naming conventions throughout your code.
  • Use good variable and function names. Names matter. If I'm taking three minutes to look at your question while my test cases are running, you don't want me to take two of those minutes to figure out that jeep is the name you're using for an accumulator variable in your loop. The easier you make it for me to read your code, the better the answers you're going to get
  • Ask a question. Tell me what it is you want an answer to. Again, if I have three minutes to look at your question, you don't want to make me spend two of those minutes figuring out what the question is. If you're seeing errors, post them. If you're getting unexpected behavior, tell me what that behavior is. If you think the result you're getting is wrong, tell me why you think so. If you haven't already done so, read this essay by Eric Raymond.
  • Give the relevant information The more context I have, the easier it is for me to answer your question. As stated above, any error messages that you're seeing are always important. Beyond that, there are two versions of python in common use at the moment. Tell us whether you're using Python 2 or Python 3 - even if you don't see how it would make a difference. Also, if you're using windows it can't hurt to mention that.
  • Keep it short While it's important to provide all of the relevant information, it's also important to leave out all of the stuff that isn't relevant. Your life story, while fascinating, doesn't help me answer your question. When in doubt, ask yourself "does this help a stranger understand the specific, focused question I've come here to ask?". If not, leave it out.
  • Be nice to the people answering your question. People take time out of their day to help you solve your problems and understand how to be a better programmer. I suggest that you say "thank you", and if possible, that you mean it. (hitting the (+) reputation button doesn't hurt either)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: How To Post In the Python Forum

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: How To Post In the Python Forum

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

This is going to sound like a dumb question but how do I hit the reputation button?. Ive had many programmers help me along the way and Ive thanked them but I know about the reputation button. Is it possible to go back to my previous programs and click on it?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

On the bottom right of each post, you see the text "Was This Post Helpful?". The buttons are next to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

One suggestion I would make for the rules is to encourage people to specify which version of Python they are using. 2.7 and 3.5+ are becoming quite different beasts in terms of how one would answer questions with code and it sucks to have to ask the OP which version they are using.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Good call. I've edited the suggestions (not so much rules, really) to reflect that thought. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1