• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 4963 Views - Last Post: 05 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Payment for my work

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

The way I size up this situation : If you want the credibility, if I'm reading this correctly he already has contracts setup & can release the game. So it's going to go further with his setup than if you released it on your own. Assuming the game is published you will have your name in the credits of a published game. On top of that you are getting 20% of what it makes.

Or you run with it yourself. Which I assume you have no experience with any of that.

Being that you've already done the work, I would take the 20%, take the published credit, & move on. Let him do what he can do with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, I have no experience whatsoever with marketing and stuff..

So yeah, I guess your idea is the best one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

View Postaresh, on 27 February 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

Yeah, I have no experience whatsoever with marketing and stuff..

& on-top of no experience, do you have a desire to learn marketing? What about legally selling the game? What if someone steals your game & then sues you for it (think Candy Crush)? If you have no desire to learn or execute in that realm, then that's what his 80% covers. You could have a multi-million dollar product. Doesn't amount to squat if you give away the source code with no way of marketing that traffic into dollars :)

Really, the only penalty I see here is you admitted to not wanting money up-front, with the notion of discussing it later. As such, you are not getting screwed over out-right, you just lost 30% due to miscommunication. It could be far, far worse.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

What's the outcome you want? I think having an ownership stake is a really useful place to be, for your future plans. Does the number - 20% versus some larger number - matter to you? Well, maybe not so much. The important question, and the question you're always going to have to be looking at throughout your career as a developer and maybe as an entrepreneur, is "what is the most important thing for me to be spending my attention on, right now?". Perhaps you'll actually do better by taking 20% and moving on to something that will ultimately make you more money - or perhaps not. In the end, you're the one who lives with the decision. I'm just going to stand back here and cheer you on - I'm the chicken in this breakfast, and you're the pig.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

Even though I don't like being the pig, I think you're both right. I cannot deal with marketing, and so it's better to let him handle it.

And well, I talked to him, it's 20% with $500 upfront.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:03 AM

when it comes to deals, you must have a copy of his terms and he also must have a copy of your terms and also when it comes to the internet you need to be sure that he is going to pay or give you what you had a deal with him like taking his name and a 4*3 picture with his place of living (or his cellphone number because its more accurate than the address) always make sure that you ask him if he had any problem with the terms or if he wants to change it thats what i have been told to do on making a deal or a job because you will see him for day and the other day he 'suddenly disappears' but dont what happened to you also happened to lots others... its a very nice thing to have enough knowledge like you have to make a game because the code is all what matters not the art style or the graphics or even the story line its all about the code you can ask him for higher than 20% if i was you i would ask for at least 50% because its a game. anyway its up to you to decide to accept or decline the 20%
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

I was about to write a whole analysis, but if you say that the game is not even close to the quality of angry birds after 6 months of work and a team of 5 people, then disregard any profit share. That game will absolutely not be profitable.

Your best approach is to sell as much ownership as you can for as much cash as you can. You should only consider the money as the equity will not be worth much.
If he lowballs you with 400$ x% reject it and keep the code ownership. You can even suggest to him that you will pursue getting your own graphics and releasing it by yourself, even if you have no intentions of doing this. A chance of getting paid a fair price is better than getting paid 400$.

Realize that he spent a lot of money on the assets, so he is in a position where he would loose a lot if he didn't come to an agreement with you.

Additionally, he is overvaluing the equity of the game, propose 0% ownership. He probably thinks paying you 2000$ +0% is better than 400$ + 20%.

If you ever consider that it is a good idea to sell him 100% of your code for 400$+20% of the final product, then consider spending 400$ on your own assets and selling the game yourself for 100% of the ownership.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

You know, what everyone is saying here is right but I wanted to offer a little different warning. How are you going to exactly know how much money the end product makes? You are going to be taking the word of someone you probably don't know in real life and trust that they give you 20% of the final product. He could say that it was a flop and made 200 dollars and give you 20% of that when really it made 200k and you would have gotten a lot more.

I never take a contract online with the idea of a percentage on future proceeds because it is pretty hard to know exactly how much those proceeds are. You would be better to always take cash straight up. Yeah it sucks when you see that product go on to be the next Google but unless you are there when they sign that billion dollar deal and see it was a billion dollars, you are only left to guess.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

Look at the beginning of Apple. People that were it from the start got screwed, and they did know the people from the start, online.e contracts make it that much harder.

Game quality has nothing to do with sales. Compare angry birds to flappy bird or whatever it's called. Not the same quality, yet both made huge profits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 04 May 2015 - 11:39 PM, said:

Look at the beginning of Apple. People that were it from the start got screwed, and they did know the people from the start, online.e contracts make it that much harder.

Game quality has nothing to do with sales. Compare angry birds to flappy bird or whatever it's called. Not the same quality, yet both made huge profits.

Game quality has a huge correlation with sales. Flappy bird is an exception, not a rule.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of game quality then. There are several games that still sell, with poor graphics, poor story lines, and buggy code.

Flappy Bird, may be an exception, but it was the first to come to mind. There are others just as pointless, though with lower sales. It may be more poignant to say, higher game quality is [generally] required for blockbuster sales, but not sales in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Quality is always perspective. Quality of story, quality of graphics, quality of difficulty, quality of gameplay. Just saying quality doesn't even cover the dynamics of the product.

View Postastonecipher, on 05 May 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

It may be more poignant to say, higher game quality is [generally] required for blockbuster sales, but not sales in general.

& for those that are just getting into marketing business analysis, Google "bridging the gap". Even shooting low & getting 1% can be HUGE. You don't need to have a blockbuster just to walk away rich. In fact, just in my opinion, not standing in the way of the big boys is the best way to not get drawn into court & spend all of your winnings on legal fees.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +