6 Replies - 1046 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online Web Design degrees that are legit.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

I have been wanting to get a 100% online degree in Web Design/Development.Due to working 50 hours a week I'm seeking to get a degree that I can set my own hours,etc. I have researched into online schools and have found out that most of these schools are a scam. The ones that are accredited seem to be a joke though. I have read over a dozen reviews on 100% online colleges and people constantly complain. Even if the school is accredited people constantly complain about the teaching and the financial aid process. I did a year at community college(on campus) and the financial aid department was great. So help me out. Do any of you know of a 100% online Web design/development degree that is accepted as quality, good teaching, communication, and financial aid? All the ratings for every online college, scream terrible!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Web Design degrees that are legit.

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online Web Design degrees that are legit.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

You are pretty much stuck... Have you tried to go the Online route at the community college? The bulk could be done online, but unfortunately, most of the schools, even the accredited ones aren't worth it anyway.

Instead of focusing on the web design in particular look at graphic design or (CS in general). I don't know how they can make a web specific degree and it not be full of fluff. Development and/ or design are you best options.

Sorry
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Wow! I guess it is true! Online degrees are scams. Well, I have been looking into the local college and they only offer about 10% of their class online, so it wouldn't be the best choice. I should off not left some info out in the top post, since I would gladly accept a Computer Science or Information Science online degree. Well...I guess its true that 100% online is not really an option. Thanks, astonecipher
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

Several legitimate schools offer online programs also. I would look for those - not a 100% online school, but a regular old-fashioned university that has a program set up that people can do all online. For example, I have a friend getting a degree in computer science from Oregon State University while living in Arizona.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

I'm the friend taking the classes through Oregon State University. It's a 100% legit program through a public university so it has a better reputation than a corporate school like University of Phoenix. I live in Arizona so I don't ever go directly to the college - instead I take proctored exams either at home through a website called ProctorU or at a local testing center. The only thing that might hold you back is that OSU's computer science program is strictly post-bacc. It is designed to give people who already either have a BA or a BS a second bachelor's degree. I don't know why you can't do the full degree online because they have other fully online programs, but this one is post-bacc. Anyway, here is the info if you want to look in to it. http://ecampus.orego...mputer-science/

There are programs out there... you just have to look for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thank you jess, I will definitely look into it.Appreciate the advice yall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Interesting comments on this post about degrees in general and on-line degrees in particular. I find it interesting in that I have both a Computer Science degree earned from UNC (University of North Carolina) and a Business Degree (MBA) earned on-line. I have never had my On-Line degree questioned by employers, and in fact, one of my employers, actually paid for the on-line degree while I was their employee.

If you are really interested in learning web development, I would start with a good computer science degree and focus on web programming, many schools offer that as a Computer Science degree focus. There are not many four years schools that I am aware of that offer true 4 year degrees in web development. Keep in mind that most good web developers are self taught and many employers understand that. The 4 year degree just opens the door for you, the actual interview is where you can express your knowledge of the subjects in web development.

Web Development is a difficult career, but very rewarding. There is much more competition than there was just a few years ago and of course that drives profits down, but I still enjoy it. It allows me opportunities that I would not have otherwise.

To break into the field at a minimum you need to have a good grasp on, HTML, HTML5, CSS, CSS3, JavScript, and one good database language, PHP, Ruby, ASP, etc. I would recommend PHP as that is the most popular.

There is nothing wrong with using Frameworks like WordPress, Joomla, etc but DO NOT make that your sole focus. Many customers will want customization that is not possible with these types of frameworks and it will be quickly realized just how little experience you have when you cannot deliver true unique solutions. I know many people sing the praises of these frameworks but they have a tremendous amount of overhead and many times features that your customers will not need or want that will slow down the performance of their sites.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1