13 Replies - 1821 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

#1 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

watch movies on my computer ?

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hello folks,

It's maybe a silly question but how does one (legally) enjoy HD movies on a computer these days ?

I built a high end PC and I like to do everything with it, including watching movies. I've got a sound system connected to it, a 32-inch display, a comfortable chair, and there is no room for a TV in my apartment.

I'm an iTunes consumer and I am not satisfied : there are DRMs, the image quality is so-so, I can't choose the audio or the subtitles language, (which are impossible to hide by the way) and some movies are not in the catalogue (Star Wars ?)... It's OK for renting but I will never buy an iTunes HD movie again.

I don't know what to think of AACS keys in Blue Ray discs. It's as if, after having paid for the blue ray disc, paid for the disc drive, you had to suck someone's dick to be allowed to watch your movie. Moreover I'm not even sure, if I do buy a software like PowerDVD or AnyDVD (which are very expensive), I will get free updates when the AACS key changes. Actually I'm almost certain I won't.

So what is your take on that ?
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: watch movies on my computer ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: watch movies on my computer ?

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Have you investigated other options? Netflix, hulu, vudu, amazon, etc? If you want an HD movie then you either stream it through a paid service or buy the physical media. You seem to have a gripe with both, but that's the game you need to play (barring you inventing some third option).

I can't choose the audio or the subtitles language

Are you sure about that?
https://support.appl.../en-us/HT202641

you had to suck someone's dick to be allowed to watch your movie.

Let's dial it back there, sport.

f I do buy a software like PowerDVD or AnyDVD (which are very expensive), I will get free updates when the AACS key changes. Actually I'm almost certain I won't.

basic research:
http://www.cyberlink...tent.do?id=4534
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Sorry, I didn't mention I was French and living in France

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Netflix does exist in France. It's very new, but I prefer to buy and keep the films I like. I buy my music (I use Qobuz, which is very good : good classical and jazz catalogue, ability to download Hi-Fi audio in a lossless format)

If you want an HD movie then you either stream it through a paid service or buy the physical media. You seem to have a gripe with both, but that's the game you need to play (barring you inventing some third option).

iTunes would be great for me if the file was a true Blue Ray rip, but it's not the case. It's fine for many movies and TV shows, but if you want to keep your file and be able to play it many years later to show it to your children or something you will need to pay again because of retro-compatibility issues or end of service of your provider. I don't expect Apple to die soon but the file quality and the flexibility of use (iTunes and Apple TV only) is poor anyway.

Yes I'm sure about that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometimes you don't get to choose at all (who would like to watch Hot Fuzz in French ?), sometimes you can only change the audio, sometimes the subtitles can't be removed (in the example above they can though, I couldn't find a quick example)... it's the lottery.

When I watch an English/American movie, I like to watch it in English, and if I need subtitles, I prefer them to be in English as well (I find very disturbing to read something in French and hear something in English at the same time, I often get lost unconsciously trying to process both), so it's important for me to have the flexibility to choose. DVDs and Blue Ray discs offer that (...most of the time).

Let's dial it back there, sport.

Wooops!

It's unclear whether it will be a free update or not. They say "download the updated version of PowerDVD" not "the updated version of the key". I've experienced many issues like that before. For example they can stop the support for your version of the software (you can't expect them to support it forever anyway). Adobe does that for Camera RAW : you bought a new DSLR camera but Photoshop won't open its RAW files and you need to upgrade.

So at the end of the day you do need to buy a "licence" multiple times to play something that you already bought : it's not as if the producer or the Blue Ray consortium didn't get their royalties. To me it's some kind of forced sale, you have to buy an extra stuff that is not a technical requirement, it's a peace of code that gives you the right to use what you buy...

But that's just my point of view and it's not what I was asking, sorry if my post seemed a bit tainted, I was indeed angry about it because I wanted to decide whether I should buy an external Blue Ray player or a simple Blue Ray drive to fit in my PC, I was wondering what could be the quality of a Blue Ray player connected directly to my screen (not sure the upscaling would be great since it's not a TV and the image is not processed by my graphics card).. and I figured it wasn't that simple to play a Blue Ray with a Blue Ray drive... I always buy my music and my movies, I find very annoying to be limited in the way I use my media because some companies consider me as a thief.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 15 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

There is no such thing as a for-ever format. The closest there is would be physical media and a player.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

I still have a VHS tape of Song of the South. I could rip it, some companies do that. But only because there were no DRM at the time. Do you think people will still be able to read encrypted* Blue Ray discs 20 years in the future ? I don't think so.

Physical media age anyway, my copy of Song of the South is probably "rotten" or something. A standard DRM-free digital format is a lot more perennial than anything you can think of. There is no reason to store physical stuff any more, apart from the pleasure to display them on a shelf and dust them from time to time. That's what modern technology should offer, but it's against the financial interests of content creators.

* I say "encrypted" but I don't know what kind of security is in place. I guess my point is still valid as far as DRM go anyway.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 15 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here is plex. At home, I run ubuntu server with plex, and then i take my legally bought and owned DVDs, blurays, etc. and rip them to digital format, put them on my NAS, and mount it to the plex server, and then stream it from there. Works pretty awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 March 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

There is no such thing as a for-ever format. The closest there is would be physical media and a player.

Even physical media is released with regional settings. I had a skin installed on XBMC (for the old xbox, pre-360) & it was developed in the UK. Suddenly a good number of my dvds refused to play due to licensing issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

Gorian, how do you rip them ? I guess it's illegal. I'll check plex but I have a NAS as well and the streaming part is not the issue.

I hope what is happening to music will happen to movies and series, that we will be able to download DRM free high quality videos, but there is so much money involved I doubt it will ever happen.

You've probably heard about Game of Thrones episodes leaking on the Internet *before* the diffusion of the first episode on TV. Even though it has nothing to do with the video format, I understand that with such events editors do everything they can to protect their property. Most of my friends (actually all of them) don't buy their music. I find it very disrespectful to the artists they listen to and love but when you have grown up with kazaa, limewire and emule it's almost encrypted in your DNA...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

i don't believe it is, as long as I am only making a backup copy for myself, and not distributing it to others. There are a number of good, free, and legal programs for ripping dvds and blurays to digital files that plex can play. As for other methods of obtaining media, I officially don't know anything about it, and the stance of DIC is that we have a no tolerance policy for anything of that nature, so I can't discuss anything other the the completely legal backup of my purchased media for my own enjoyment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Gorian, I love my plex! Every TV in the house has some device that enjoys it.

View Postge∅, on 27 April 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

I guess it's illegal.

Personal copies are personal copies. When you "share" things can go from grey to black, but if your property always stays in your possession, you are fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

Personal copies are just copied. & if you are duplicating the DVD, you are duplicating the regional settings. My understanding is that's the issue here & in my opinion therefor making duplication an irrelevant point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

If I wanted to get free HD movies I would ask my friends a copy of their hard drive ;)

Last time I checked, you could only make a digital copy of a blueray if you were using a software that puts DRMs on the output files, so you were simply making a digital backup of the disk, which is only shifting the problem.

I'm a bit out of date (and amazingly my search engine too : I get 4 and even 6 years old articles about blue ray ripping in the first page results) but last time I checked you couldn't read bluerays on Linux so I assume you remove the DRM when your rip the disk (am I wrong ?). Isn't removing DRM an infraction of the user licence agreement ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

what license agreement?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

I'm sure a blue ray disc is considered as a software, therefore there would be a end user licence agreement telling you that you don't own the movie but a licence allowing you to play it (it generally works like that for video games or music, depending on the provider), or maybe the simple fact that there is a DRM makes it illegal to remove. I don't know your legislation much but you have something called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that should, if it works like I think it does, forbid you to attempt to remove a protection (or allow a provider to forbid you blablabla).

In France we've got something called DADVSI and it's not a joke

Criminalisation of DRM circumvention
Articles 13 and 14 of the law introduced a variety of criminal penalties for those working around DRM technical measures:
  • A fine up to 3,750 is applicable for those who knowingly work around a DRM technical measure for reasons other than research, if this is not done using means procured from others.
  • Prison sentences up to 6 months and/or fines up to 30,000 are applicable for those who supply others with means to work around technical measures, or who knowingly propose such means.
  • Lesser fines will be subsequently introduced by an executive decree.

I don't have any blue ray so I can't check but I suppose must be something somewhere telling you that there is a DRM and that you agree not to remove it or reverse engineer it or something like that. You know, the usual.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1