3 Replies - 664 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2007 - 05:16 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Spam hitting my clan

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

My clan www.strsclan.com had a webmaster that went on a holiday. He taught one of the younger guys how to update the site and gave him FTP access. Everything was going fine until we started to get spammed.

Essentially we have pretty basic form/application that people can fill out to join our gaming clan. It can be found here http://www.strsclan.com/join.htm

When our webmaster was around I had him create this page, and make it so that once that form was filled out the information submitted would get sent to our strsclan.com email addresses. One of the leaders could then read the information in our email and submit a reply email back to the person who submitted the application.

Unfortunately, some spam company found our site and is not submitting 100's of applications a day and now that our webmaster has left for 8 months to Australia, the young guy we have updating doesn't know how to fix the problem.

A few of us thought the thing to do would be to add a box with numbers in it like whats on your forum registration application, or even just a little box where you had to type a correct answer in. We think that would beat the spam and we wouldn't get 100's of fake applications sent to our email everyday.

The thing is, we really need some help here and I have no idea what to do about the problem. If anyone could lend a hand, I'm sure it wouldn't take that long. You can email me at heffty@strsclan.com, xfire me at username hefty1979, you can come post on our forums which you can link to off our site (This might be the best solution http://www.strsclan.com/forum/), or you could just reply in here and I will check it daily.

I hope someone will have a kind heart! Thanks.

Heffty.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Spam hitting my clan

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spam hitting my clan

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

Do you have access to your sites access logs? You could ban visits by ip, & only add ones that you know should access the site, until your webmaster returns. Or you could ban all outside US ips. It's an option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 Nov, 2007 - 08:34 PM, said:

Do you have access to your sites access logs? You could ban visits by ip, & only add ones that you know should access the site, until your webmaster returns. Or you could ban all outside US ips. It's an option.

No we thought about that but our site sees a bit of traffic and we don't want to discourage that. People that see us gaming will come and do a search on us, then they may browse the site and there have been many times we have recieved applications just from that. I know we are not a huge business like amazon.com...but the consiquences would be similar as in we would miss out on quality members and people coming to visit our site.

We need a different solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:16 AM

A few of us thought the thing to do would be to add a box with numbers in it like whats on your forum registration application, or even just a little box where you had to type a correct answer in. We think that would beat the spam and we wouldn't get 100's of fake applications sent to our email everyday.

right there goes your answer xD

[edit]If you dont know how to do this you can send me your code on a message and i will make it for you[/edit]

This post has been edited by sOwL: 19 November 2007 - 05:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1