• +
  • Last »

52 Replies - 1737 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 12:52 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Spring - Summer 2015 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

Spring has sprung and time to kick in some seasonal change! Dip into some power jam mix tapes and get a little sweat on!

With the weather change (well for those of use who have weather changes) it means altering routines, and is a great time to break out of some lax muscle memory ruts and try something new!

---
Winter was less than peak for me, and I had some bad slumps, but I think at least I maintained. I kicked in a new eating routine of going green-heavy on two and a half meals a week and I have definitely noticed energy and pep improvement with that. Hunks of leafy greens, tomatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, etc. Budget wise that definitely is comparable to a lazy Scrubway run once a week. Go greens!

I decided to experiment with a giant-pilates-ball-as-a-chair at home. Maybe go for the more ten to twenty minute intervals in the living room. I hear generally good things and this is definitely something to buffer when I am not game for lacing up the new cross trainers, suiting up, and driving to the gym.
---

What about everyone else? Are you looking to change your routine? Tinker with some dietary changes? Push for a new goal the season? Utilizing the fit-tech in good ways?

---------------

View Postsupersloth, on 14 January 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

At a certain point it's not about 'getting your sleep in order first' or 'getting your eating in order first' or 'getting your workouts in order first'. It's just about doing it.
---------------

Miscellaneous links:
supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..
100 no-equipment workouts

Historical links:
(for ideas check the first posts, and general commentary, research, etc)
Fall / Winter 2014 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2014 Fitness
Fall-Winter 2013
Spring-Summer 2013
Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Spring - Summer 2015 Fitness

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2015 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

Over the previous 2 months I've tried to get back into running, but the weather either left the sidewalks resembling a hockey rink, or I have not been getting enough sleep to hit the treadmill. Last week I ran for 2.2 miles in 31 minutes. Have to make it a continuing routine.

I feel like it's going to take dedication on-top of dedication.

There is a jogging group that meets downtown on the weekend that I should join, & there is another couch to 5k something here at work that has invited me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Still a raging ball of blubber, but working on it. One day at a time, as they say...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

Ice has made running a no go, and a shoulder injury has made anything else a no go, so I've been... dieting to avoid insane weight gain. It's horrible.

However, I've been able to run outside a couple of days this week, so I'm finally going to be able to do something useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

I seem to have the opposite problem. A few years ago I was 6'1" 165lbs and couldn't do any pushups, so I started with a personal trainer and a diet that's both better for me and a little more food (I don't always remember to eat). Now I'm up to about 185, much more strength and endurance than I previously had. I run on and off, although when the summer temps hit running isn't very feasible, you dry out so quick in the desert. It's already hit the 90s here several days, so it's probably going to be a long summer. That means more hiking where I can carry enough water, and less running. I've been cooking more than I ever have before, years ago I would hit Taco Bell or Wendy's 3 or 4 times per week, and I would usually drink one soda in the morning, then a 32 ounce for lunch, then another in the afternoon. Switching a lot of that to water helped. It's always been difficult for me to get enough protein though, I just don't eat enough. I used to eat breakfast every day in high school but that dropped off during college, to the point that trying to eat something in the morning may make me nauseous. That's much better now though, I'm trying to eat something every morning just to get my metabolism started. I think that the working out and better diet has actually slowed my metabolism down though, or disrupted it or something, it seems like I put on fat a little easier now than I used to.

If you want some motivation to eat healthier, I highly recommend Forks Over Knives. You can download the movie from their site or watch it on Netflix or whatever. That site also has plenty of recipes. It's a great documentary though.

If you're looking for some groups locally to get involved with anything active, look into meetup.com.

Now I just need to quit smoking.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 20 March 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

If you want some motivation to eat healthier, I highly recommend Forks Over Knives. You can download the movie from their site or watch it on Netflix or whatever. That site also has plenty of recipes. It's a great documentary though.

Changed my wife's (& therefor my) life. After she watched that documentary she got heavily invested into vegan foods. Engine 2 diet, hungry girl, so on & so forth. Certainly feel healthier for it. In addition, we cut out microwaving anything, she hand makes just about everything (soaps, dish detergent, tooth paste) everything gets checked for chemicals & questionable ingredients.

Only wish we had done this years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 March 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Changed my wife's (& therefor my) life. After she watched that documentary she got heavily invested into vegan foods. Engine 2 diet, hungry girl, so on & so forth. Certainly feel healthier for it. In addition, we cut out microwaving anything, she hand makes just about everything (soaps, dish detergent, tooth paste) everything gets checked for chemicals & questionable ingredients.

Damn! How does anybody have the time for all that?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

Raw ingredients are picked up at the farmers market, a store next door to us, or ordered online. The time we don't spend up & down isles of the grocery store are spent hand-mixing. It's part of the weekend chore rotation. She actually makes stuff for her family too.

lol, our cabinets are filled with glass jars. If she were doing this in the 1600's, she would be labeled a witch & burned at the stake.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 depricated  Icon User is online

• Conversion Software Version 7.0

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

I'm down 60lbs since December. I've committed that in another 40 I'll be buying a new wardrobe. My pants are huge on me already. The pants I could finally squeeze into in January now don't stay up. I was all over the place at band practice this week. All in all, doing fairly awesome.

In addition to what I've been doing, I just started a 24 week managed diet. 800-1100 calories per day. I have some special formulated supplements that make sure I get all the vitamins and stuff I need daily.

Also stopping after work and picking up medicine that should treat some problems that contribute to my hamplanetude. Good times. I think I'm going to start taking progress pics. I have a few to compare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

wowsers 1100 hundred calories is low. prepare for some serious days of hangry
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

I'm going back on my diet after falling off for a month or two and gained fat back.

My deadlifts are getting close to what it used to be - currently @ 355 lbs easy pull.
Squats still need work to get them to what they used to be, but I was having knee issues for the last 4 months and they just magically went away.
Going to be sticking with low-rep high-weight sets until summer ends.

Currently around 14% bf and looking to drop it to single digit, or wherever the end of summer ends me. I'll be taking it slow so I don't lose all mah gainz.

Calories will be ~1600 a day and even then this is pretty low.

Work outs are ~6 times a week of a Push/Pull/Legs routine with deadlifts right after squats: http://forum.bodybui...php?t=149807833
I've been doing this workout for about 8 months and it's been working really nice for me. I just need to keep my diet in check and make sure I don't hop off the tracks.

Here's how a typical non-cheat day will look:
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

I like going for long walks in the desert. There's lots of wilderness nearby for me to wander in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

In the desert? Isn't there a video game about that?

(It's good to see wolfcoder around!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 depricated  Icon User is online

• Conversion Software Version 7.0

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

It's one of the levels in Sonic iirc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +