8 Replies - 1159 Views - Last Post: 12 November 2007 - 01:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

domain and site transfer

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

evening all, got a wee problem thats driving me mad... u run a gambling forum which was built on a freeforums site, and also had a freewebs site that it lives in... i have however built my own site now and put the forum into it... thing is the entire site is now sitting on my desktop in dreamweaver8 and have not the foggiest how to get it on the net?... or even put my domain name in the source page?..... the current freewebs site is still on the net but i want the site i have built to take over... if you see what im getting at.... sorry if i have confused you... i know i am :blink: :blink:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: domain and site transfer

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: domain and site transfer

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

Do you have a web host picked out yet? And do you have a domain name registered?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 12 Nov, 2007 - 11:21 AM, said:

Do you have a web host picked out yet? And do you have a domain name registered?

ive had the domain name for a year or so and its been listed on google with my freewbes site in that time....i have no idea about finding servers ect as the freewebs took care of all that before now....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

Alrighty. So you've got a domain. Who is it registered with?

And now you need to move your web site to an actual web host (not a free one). Check out http://webhostdir.com/ and find a host that meets your needs. If you need PHP (for your forum) and mySQL then you'll probably want a linux web host.

Signup with a web host and then you'll upload your web site using an FTP client (like http://www.smartftp.com ). Once the site is setup, then you'll need to point your domain at the new web host. This is usually done through the registrar where you registered the domain. You'll just enter the DNS servers the new host gives you and voila.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

You're going to have to get the site somewhere that has the ability to respond to port 80 requests. Basically, it's going to need to have an ip address that is reachable by the rest of the inernet, on a server that can answer port 80 requests (for example, comercial service, not home service).

Then you'll need to point the Name Servers for that machine to the Domain Name (where you registered the Domain Name has Name Server entries). Then the Domain Name can get converted to an IP address, & then the page can be served to the requester.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

thanks for the help guys... im totally lost lol... dumb engish ahh... but i'll try the links you left and have a go :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

no2pencil's reply is if you actually want to setup your own web server, on a computer in your house.

I would highly suggest you find a cheap web host and just upload your web site to them. The web host will be able to help you get the site uploaded to their servers and possibly help with any errors you encounter along the way.

And you're always welcome to ask us here at dream.in.code if you run in to any problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

thing is the entire site is now sitting on my desktop in dreamweaver8 and have not the foggiest how to get it on the net?

Sorry, this is the question I was responding to.

You want to follow Captain Skyhawks' advice.

This post has been edited by no2pencil: 12 November 2007 - 01:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:32 PM

lol. I had never seen that game before... how sad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1