• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 3629 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2007 - 07:31 AM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

The Coffee Fool: a review

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

Sometime last year I found thecoffeefool.com. I read the information on their page about how good their coffee was. They patted themselves on the back and about how their customers wished they had never discovered The Coffee Fool because it spoils them and they can no longer drink anything else. Being a coffee person I couldn't help but try a couple of their varietals. The verdict? They were both bland and boring - probably t he most tasteless coffee I've ever had. So I tried grinding them very fine and putting double and even triple the usual amount just to see if I could extract some flavor from these crap-ass beans. Nope. I think ground up cardboard would brew a better cuppa. I don't know why, but consumer ass-kicker guy didn't take over and demand a refund. I think busy guy was at the helm. Can't remember.

(here's a paragraph break for you grammar biatches) :)

So, recently I've noticed The Coffee Fool has apparently launched a massive ad campaign because I see them in Google ads just about every other day. I did a search and found several recent complaints mirroring my own. So, don't be fooled by these Fools. The "secret that Coffee COs" want you to know is that The Coffee Fool sells sub-par coffee. If you're looking for gourmet coffee, I'd spend my money elsewhere.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Coffee Fool: a review

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Coffee Fool: a review

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

Pretty much why I only drink http://www.kaldiscoffee.com/ But they are a local ST Louis Roaster and every cuppa I had hanging out in coffie houses was Kaldis so it reminds me of home.

And for people that are concious about theese things they offer Fair trade organics beans also.

12 oz for almost 9 bucks??? I pay 10 for a full pound
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

I've noticed this site on the Google ads a million times. First thing I noticed, like you, was their overwhelming self-centered message about how they will ruin all other coffees. Second thing I noticed was the ridiculous dollar amount attached to their beans. The idea is cute, but considering that your average coffee shop that gets good business rotates their beans quickly (I'd dare to say the shops I hit up, rotate their beans out within the week), it's not worth the time your beans are on the road. Dunn Bros. is a pretty fun establishment here in Mn. They generally will roast their own beans in-store or really close by, so chances of their product being fresher is far greater than coffee fool. I've talked to a couple roasters in my area, and they can attest to the fact they keep pretty busy.

As far as Vacuum-sealed store coffee, of course it isn't going to be up to par compared to the local coffee shop, but the fact it is in a dark, vacuum sealed package will ensure a fair amount of freshness. As far as Folgers or Millstone or whatever, I don't rate it in the same bracket as it's Arabic counterpart. If you are gonna compare Folders to Starbucks, that's your own damn fault. I can suck that stuff down like any other hot beverage.

What type of package did coffee fool coffee come in? Was that sealed similar to store coffee, or was it in a brown bag? Depending on the coffee's trip from coffee fool to you could be a big deal. Fluctuating temps, altitudes, etc. can really screw up the bean.

Alas, however, I've been roasting my own for most of the year. I'm going to say it's a lot fresher, but I'm not going to say that I hate all other coffee. I looove Dunn Bros. It'd be like saying you will only drink microbrew and nothing else. Shyeah right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

I drink mostly Kicking Horse. It's got incredible flavor. It's pretty pricey, but a major part of that is that prices up here haven't adjusted to the change in exchange rate yet. Though for companies that don't operate on both sides of the border, that's probably never going to change :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

i'm not a snob. i drink starbucks. and i like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

I'm kind of spoiled, I cant stand Starbucks (and I live in Washington State lol) I think their coffee is complete crap. The coffee I use, though quite expensive, is Thomas Hammer, by far the best coffee Ive ever had, and it's all Ill buy now
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

white coffee, doesnt matter wat kind it is
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

i like tea a lot better than coffee.

green and chai specifically.

TOTAL HIPSTER OVER HERE
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

Cardboard coffee...
That's an interesting blend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

I discovered chai tea recently, it's delicious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:21 AM

oh, btw, chai is the hindi(a language) version of tea. so, is that 'tea tea' :rolleyes: ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, I gave up on that fight quite a while back. Same for the definition of "organic" (I started out in part as a chemist). Chai here means black tea with honey, milk (or soy ;) ), ginger, and a bunch of spices...cinnamon, cardamom, often cloves, often allspice, sometimes fennel seed, sometimes allspice, sometimes black pepper, and, very occasionally, bay leaf.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:33 AM

Chai here means black tea with honey, milk (or soy ;) ), ginger, and a bunch of spices...cinnamon, cardamom, often cloves, often allspice, sometimes fennel seed, sometimes allspice, sometimes black pepper, and, very occasionally, bay leaf.

Wow! thats one spicy drink ! it must be great! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:35 AM

Spiced, but not "spicy" per se...the milk and honey mellows everything out quite a bit.

And yes, it's quite good. Videege knows where it's at B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

View PostFygar, on 13 Nov, 2007 - 12:33 PM, said:

As far as Folgers or Millstone or whatever, I don't rate it in the same bracket as it's Arabic counterpart. If you are gonna compare Folders to Starbucks, that's your own damn fault. I can suck that stuff down like any other hot beverage.

Who compares Folgers to Starbucks? That's like comparing frozen TV dinners to a gourmet meal (Not that Starbuck's is The French Laundry of coffee, but I'd say they are Gourmet).

View PostFygar, on 13 Nov, 2007 - 12:33 PM, said:

What type of package did coffee fool coffee come in? Was that sealed similar to store coffee, or was it in a brown bag? Depending on the coffee's trip from coffee fool to you could be a big deal. Fluctuating temps, altitudes, etc. can really screw up the bean.

It's probably been close to two years since I drank it, but I remember it was overnight shipped and came vacuum sealed.

View Postsupersloth, on 13 Nov, 2007 - 02:51 PM, said:

i like tea a lot better than coffee.

green and chai specifically.

TOTAL HIPSTER OVER HERE

I drink a lot of black and green teas in the winter. Often I throw milk in there. It's my British half asserting himself.

Also a bit of uninteresting trivia: In Czech, "chai" means "tea."
(edit: Ahhh, I see it means "tea" in other languages too.)

This post has been edited by Programmist: 14 November 2007 - 04:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +