A suggestion about white space.

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 771 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

A suggestion about white space.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:55 AM

Would it be possible to honour white space in forum posts? It might lessen the pain when people forget to use code tags, and then we could all relax about that. :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A suggestion about white space.

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A suggestion about white space.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

The problem of not using code tags is not so much about white space as limiting the length of the post, in my opinion. A code box is a fixed size with a slider. If someone posts 1000 lines of code NOT marked by tags it makes the post 1000 lines long. Not to mention we are all used to seeing code in a certain way, and the code tags give you fixed width characters, syntax highlighting and so on.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

I belong to the camp that doesn't like the little box with the scroll bar. If someone posts 1000 lines of code, I'm going to have to scroll anyway so being able to use my whole monitor helps me read it. I understand the code tags would help those who prefer the scroll bar so point taken.

I also agree with you about getting used to seeing the code in a certain way. In particular code without code tags wouldn't have syntax highlighting.

However, I think the biggest problem when code tags are omitted is the indentation gets lost. You and I can edit posts to ass code tags in our forums (when we choose to) but others cannot. Allowing the forum software to retain the indentation would reduce the problem significantly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

If someone posts 1,000 lines of code for their question... They're wrong. That's a post where some student dumps their entire project on us with the question "Help me I don't know what to do now". The only response I have for these people is "We're not here to debug your entire program. At least narrow it down to the methods that are actually creating errors. Here's links to the debugging tutorials."

Rarely does one actually need to scroll through 1000 lines of posted code in a browser. And if you have to look through that much its probably time to just copy the code and paste it into one's IDE and try it anyway. The rest of the time most of the questions can be answered by reading the non-code part of the question and doing a cntrl+F search for the one method they named anyway.

I'd hate to see all threads get swamped with tons of wasted white space just because of a few people that can't bother to put their code inside tags like is mentioned all over the fraking place.

If its a matter of seeing large blocks of code full screen you can click the View Source button on a code box and open the code in a new window full screen if you like.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Considering that the site doesn't use a monospace font, just honoring whitespace alone isn't enough to make code look like code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1