2 Replies - 754 Views - Last Post: 14 November 2007 - 03:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Not sure what language to use for this project

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hi.
I am thinking about making a program similar to drawball, only much smaller scale. It will have a web interface, either Java applet or flash, and have a saved binary file with 10,000 bits, representing a 100x100 grid. People will be able to draw in the grid, which will update in real time.

I am told I probably will have to have a socket server, and that the realtime aspect of it may be a bit difficult, but I am just looking for advice on what you guys think may be a good language to use for this project.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Not sure what language to use for this project

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Not sure what language to use for this project

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

What language do you know best?

You should probably use that one to power your socket server.

I'd personally recommend Flash for displaying - because Flash at least seems faster(I haven't actually tested it), and more people have the Flash player than the Java VM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Not sure what language to use for this project

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:26 AM

I concur with Girasquid.

However, if you know Java, it would be worth doing it in that, as long as you know your target audience has the Java VM. But to avoid annoying everyone else, you'd just have to buckle up and learn flash.

It would also be possible to do it in Javascript... though that may be sloooow :crazy:

Or heck! You could do it in Silverlight if you really wanted to annoy random people on the Interwebs...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1