6 Replies - 98 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Curriculum Mapping for Coding!

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

Good afternoon everyone.

Our school has identified the need to teach our students some coding skills as an elective in high school. My question is, does anyone have any online resources that would help out with this? We do not have a programmer on staff that can teach this. We are looking into a online model that would be geared to a K-12 school. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Curriculum Mapping for Coding!

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Curriculum Mapping for Coding!

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Perhaps a community college model would be helpful. Having been through high school and college programming classes, online is an incredibly terrible way to go. You get two types of students- those that know the material and those that don't. The ones who know the material will be fine, but those who don't will be frustrated and turned off from programming. We see a lot of students in online classes asking for help here. They muddle through the curriculum, don't learn much, and are constantly frustrated.

I think a classroom with other students and a physical instructor is the best way to do it. Lecture is great, but more important is the human interaction component. Much of what students will learn will come from their discussions with others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

I understand completely and we have certainly thought of that as well. We are in the process of a retiring computer instructor and I will suggest that the new person hired has some programming knowledge. We are still looking for an online solution as well. We would rather not reinvent the wheel if some other school has already implemented an entire course curriculum. We know it would have to be tailored to the instructors skill set of course. Any leads on a online learning resource?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

There are plenty of sites. I would suggest poking at the 'MOOC's out there. (massive open online course). Microsoft's Virtual Academy is pretty nice too as are the MIT courses.

Depending on the location of the school district it may be a good idea to have a teacher remote video in for the class. It's time economical, real time, and can be an asset.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

Great Idea.

I didn't even think of the remote teacher.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Example info on it..

http://www.ed.psu.ed...pics/technology
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

When you hire someone, it might be a good idea to look at a math teacher. Often times, you will get folks who major in Mathematics Education in college, which is geared towards teaching secondary school. They're required to take some programming coursework usually. Math Ed folks not likely to be as strong programmers as CS majors or industry professionals, but they'll likely be able to pick up what they need. And ideally, the school district will offer additional training/development opportunities. In addition, math teachers tend to be in demand (though obviously I can't speak for your specific situation).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1