7 Replies - 237 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language do you use and what do you need?

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

I would like to make a messenger like MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger, for both desktop, mobile, and web/web browser. What would be the best language to use for this and why? Also, saving the chats would probably be in some sort of database, MySQL or MariaDB.

What would I need for this whole thing? Thanks,
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language do you use and what do you need?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language do you use and what do you need?

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

There are at least 50 threads here for the same thing: "What language should I use for my project doing blah blah blah?"

Please don't make everyone repeat themselves yet again because you don't want to read back a few threads for some good advice that already been given so many times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 16 April 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

There are at least 50 threads here for the same thing: "What language should I use for my project doing blah blah blah?"

Please don't make everyone repeat themselves yet again because you don't want to read back a few threads for some good advice that already been given so many times.

Hello, may I ask what you would search up? Thanks,

UPDATE: Sorry, I have found them. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

You don't even need to search to get started: The forum does that for you with every thread.
Look at the bottom of the page... You'll see several threads that matched based on your topic title or some of the content.

Beyond that searching "What language" and "Which language" seems to get a lot of good matches.
As a rule I find that searching for the major terms I would put in the title if I were posting works pretty well. Odds are most people would ask similar questions in pretty much the same way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

Don't worry too much about which language is the best. Learn a language - ONE language - well. Then do things with it until you hit limitations. Then, look for a way around your limitations.

Learn to write good code to solve good problems. Languages are secondary.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

I completely agree with jon.kiparsky. First learn a language well and when you hit limitations look for a better one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

And sometimes you don't need to learn another language, you could just call another library that is compatible with your language but the library happens to have been written in another language.

The .NET languages can each with each other. You could have a C# GUI using a VB.NET data access layer and a F# business logic layer. Most languages also have a way to call functions in APIs and libraries written in other languages. Java has the JNI. .NET has P/Invoke and COM Interop. Most C/C++ compilers and linkers have settled on a common object format and standard calling conventions. Most scripting languages like Javascript and LUA have host hooks to let the script make calls into the language hosting process. Microsoft's COM doesn't care what the other COM objects where written in. And with web services, if your can make a web service call, who cares if your application is Java but the web service is implemented in PHP?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

View Postjacob81, on 17 April 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

I completely agree with jon.kiparsky. First learn a language well and when you hit limitations look for a better one.

I would say, as I did say, "find a way around the limitations". The idea of looking for a "better" language is problematic, at best. Languages are tools. Is a ball peen hammer better than a roofing hammer? Is a miter saw better than a monkey wrench?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1